LG still air

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by theredroosta, Dec 21, 2010.

1. theredroosta

theredroosta Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    I have had 3 hatches total with this incubator, the first two were terrible hatch rates, 2 hatched out of several both times and the very last one was a complete failure of 0 chicks out of 20 eggs. This time I'm trying again and I want to know peoples personal experiences with this incubator, if the turner and fan upgrades help whatsoever and if the thermometer is calibrated (very important). Oh and if anyone has anyway to check if the thermometer is correct would be great.

Thanks in advance!

2. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    I just tried to hatch 13 eggs. 8 of them progressed fine but only 1 hatched. [​IMG] . I'm also curious about the circulating fan. I checked the temp of the brooder box with a thermometer we've had for a while and it was the same as the thermometer that came with the bator. I also put 2 thermometers in the bator, one from the bator and one from the auto turner and they are reading about the same maybe off by .5 degree. The lid of mine seems kind of messed up. I have to put about a one pound flash light on one of the corners to make is seal right all the way around it (not sure why but it got tweaked somehow before we got it. Also just put new eggs in there last night and temp was perfect and woke up this morning to it being 105ish! [​IMG] If i could go back and pick something different i would but it was my Christmas present from my parents. The directions say to incubate at 99.5 but i've heard from BYC peeps that it is supposed to be at 102. Good luck.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  3. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    99!5 degrees is for fan & turntable....102 is for hand turning w/o fan-turntable..make sure you are reading temp 1/8 " from top of egg.. i have never had troubles with any of mine..other then mistakes ive made..been using same ones for 9-10 yrs..hatch after hatch for 5-6 months each yr.

4. coltssuperbowl83

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    what if i just have the turner and no fan?

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

6. coltssuperbowl83

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    Nice and thanks! [​IMG] I'd never seen that before.

7. barefoottrims

barefoottrims Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2010
    Quote:that would be kewl if it was correct heat expands it doesn't contract have you ever broiled a roast in a pan with potatos in a pan of water in an electric oven broiler the LG is the same thing I have an emerson microwave that has the broiler built in and on top of the high heat you add high humidity

8. theredroosta

theredroosta Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Heat rises silly, so its correct, the expanding, contracting makes no difference in this situation.

9. barefoottrims

barefoottrims Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2010
    Quote:here is a LG 9200 pix taken of thermometer temp from egg level with no water in the tray. 4" from the heat element to egg level heat has no chance to rise in order to cool down at 122.0 degrees F (thats what the thermometer stopped reading at)

[​IMG]

it stopped reading at 122.0 on a black car out here that would be hot enough to fry an egg on!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

What the..... are you talking about?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by