1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lg Swelling below Vent: PHOTO ADDED

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Elisabeth Rose, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Elisabeth Rose

Elisabeth Rose Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    My 2 year old hen has a large swelling below her vent- like about 3" diameter. It looks like an egg is stuck in there- the skin is stretched out. Her vent was not blocked, but there was dried green/white poop which I washed off. She is acting fine. Any ideas what this might be and how I should treat her? Can an egg get stuck in there- she's been laying Jumbo eggs for a long time with no problem. She is a Barred Rock. Thank you for any advice!

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Can you post pictures?

3. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Soaking her in a warm bath could help her pass it.

4. Elisabeth Rose

Jul 11, 2013
    I have to go get my little boy from Kindergarten. I'll try to get pix when I return. Thanks!!

5. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you can see the swelling, it's not an egg. The eggs are located up much closer to their backs.

-Kathy

6. Elisabeth Rose

Jul 11, 2013
    So I gave her a long soak in warm water. She seemed to like it and I also massaged the big lump. Here is a picture. I put her back in the coop alone. If it isn't a stuck egg, what could it be??[​IMG]

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What does it feel like?

-Kathy

8. Elisabeth Rose

Jul 11, 2013
    It feels like a big orange filled with water- like a water balloon. I tried massaging it when I soaked her, but nothing came out. She is asleep now- will check her tomorrow morning. This seems to be a common problem- I read about it and some people say yolk-bound and others infection, so we will see.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

If it feels like a water ballon it's probably ascites.

-Kathy

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

How is your hen today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by