LG temp spike

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by emsevers, Apr 15, 2009.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    This is my first time incubating with an LG still air and on my very first day I had a temp spike to 104. I don't know how long it was at this temp but it could have been hours. It's been 2 days since then and I've gotten the temp to stay between 99.5 and 100.8. So is there any hope or did I cook my eggs before they even got started?

2. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    No they should be fine. Double check the humidity. This seems to be my answer for the night on all the LG questions lol. A consistent temp then spike shouldnt happen. How long did you regulate the temp for before you added the eggs?

3. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Wait a couple of days then candle, if you don't see anything wait until day 7 then candle again, depending on the egg color if they are light you should be able to see veining. I'm on day 4 and can clearly see veining in my white and cream eggs.

4. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I was regulating the temp for about 2 days before I put the eggs in. After I put them in I couldn't seem to get the temp up so I turned it a tiny bit and then I found the 104 temp in the morning.

5. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Once you get the temp regulated (especially for 2 days) you shouldnt turn the knob after adding the eggs. This is the best advice I got before starting my eggs. I would have turned the knob for sure if I didnt know this. The eggs can take several hours to heat up to the incubator temp but eventually they will. No matter how much I wanted to turn the knob up a pinch I didnt. Did you regulate the temp again?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  6. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Yeah I got the temp regulated as soon as I saw it was high.

7. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    with LGs if the temp outside the incubator changes, the temp in the incubator changes, so you need to find a room that has a stable temp. or you will be fighting with the temp changes for the whole iuncubation process...

8. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    dont worry, mine does the same thing and all my hatches have been over 60%. it isnt a great hatch rate but with an LG its great

9. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Quote:That's encouraging. I've been feeling like there's no hope but that makes me feel better. I can't wait to candle to see if any are viable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by