LG to take out the red plugs or leave them in

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by critterrun, Nov 22, 2011.

1. critterrun

critterrun Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    NJ
    Hello newbie here

I called LG they said to never take out the plugs (red)

I just read somewhere to always take out the plugs

Help cofused again

in or out or 1/2 and 1/2 or sometimes [​IMG]

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Huh. Why would they include plugs in their design if you're not supposed to take them out??? [​IMG]

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    The plugs stay in during incubation but when you set the eggs for hatching take the red plugs out. The eggs need the added air flow.

4. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My plugs are never in. The eggs need the oxygen. I read somewhere that if you are having trouble with your humidity, to cover them halfway with tape, but I haven't had that issue. The plugs are there to put in and out to help control your temps and humidity...so the fact they told you to never take them out seems a bit ridiculous!

Edited to add: I'm sure everyone does things differently, but this has worked for me! I don't think their is any right or wrong answer, but I can tell you that the chicks and eggs need airflow, that's why they have to holes in the incubator!!!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  5. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have an LG and that's pretty much what I do, too. It helps me control the temp and humidity. Start with them in. Check the temps and humidity and if they're not where you want them to be, then take out a plug and check back later. Repeat instructions until everything is where you want it to be.
    And I do take at least one out during lockdown because the humidity will jump too high when they start hatching.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If you notice there are 8 little holes in the top of the incubator and 8 little holes in the bottom. That is enough air flow for the first 18 days while incubating. When you put the humidity up for the last 3 days added airflow is needed then.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I have an LG and that's pretty much what I do, too. It helps me control the temp and humidity. Start with them in. Check the temps and humidity and if they're not where you want them to be, then take out a plug and check back later. Repeat instructions until everything is where you want it to be.
    And I do take at least one out during lockdown because the humidity will jump too high when they start hatching.

I do remove or put back in the plugs too if I need to adjust the humidity and temp.

I put a bottle cap on my thermostat control and it works great.
    [​IMG]

8. critterrun

critterrun Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    NJ
    thank you all

Thats what I was thinking [​IMG]

if it got to hot or hum.

take them out to help

but I just read somewhere not to start with them in???? [​IMG] [​IMG]

I think I will leave them in till I put the eggs in [​IMG]
    and if I need to adjust I will take 1 out

than at lock down if I need more help take 1 out or put 1 back in

hope that works

Thanks [​IMG]

9. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:X2
    I use mine to hatch in and I generally have to take both out during a hatch or humidity runs high. And sometimes I turn the red cap over and cover half the hole if needed. Good Luck

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I called LG, too. I learned reading threads here on BYC than from LG. I did a boat load of reading about the LG and re-read the manual many times BEFORE buying the LG. And read ChookCHick page on LG use ( a must read). Here is what I figured out.

Use the knob on top to get the temperature exactly on the mark of 99.5 with ONE cap in.
    THen thru the weeks when MINUTE adjustments of temp needed, remove a red cap to decrease temp or add the second red cap to increase the temp. Do not touch the knob.

Adjusting humidity is easier by using 1, 2 or 3 of the wells. Or none if you dry incubate. ANd add pots of warm water with sponges cut to sit in the water with the top extended above the cup. 1-4 pots, one in each corner. for hatching.

THis worked for me and my LG.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by