LG w/computer fan circulation/ventilation question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beanmcnulty, Mar 27, 2012.

1. beanmcnulty

beanmcnulty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    Ok, so I don't see much on this question previously so here goes: I have an LG upgraded with a computer fan, and I can't seem to get above a 50% hatch rate, I have tried numerous suggestions posted, use a milk bottle cap on knob, got the bator up off the table top a little to increase ventilation, but my results are pointing to ventilation issues as my temps and humidity are near perfect (and checked hygrometer with salt test). So far I have had both plugs in for incubation and one out for lockdown (the one needs to stay in as it just blows air right out and sucks out moisture too rapidly). Also as I mentioned the bator is lifted up so the holes on bottom work better. Do I need to add more ventilation during incubation? And if so how much have others with LG/fan setups ventilated and how? Extra holes or make the little ones larger? So frustrating- hatches have gotten progressively better so I am learning something!
    Thanks o chicken oracle:)

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I have an LG with a computer fan and have been getting 75% hatches - I don't have rubber plugs I do have cotton instead.

I unplug the fan at first pip.

I'm guessing on humidity as my hydrometer is way off...

I keep one trough filled at al times and fill the other at lockdown.

3. beanmcnulty

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH

Interesting...I also use sponges at lockdown, so the sponges wouldnt be needed I take it if the fan was off, or maybe just 1- I use 3, in small jars in the corners. Hmm more tweaking to do! thanks for the tip!

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

hope that helps- and BTW I live in FL and the outside humidity is... well wet- you might need more then I needed.

5. beanmcnulty

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH

I bet- ours is around 40-45 when not having the furnace running. It would need kicked up during lockdown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by