LG Woes

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crawfordmama, May 10, 2011.

1. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I'm on day 11 with 14 eggs in my LG still air. This is my first hatch, and I'm losing sleep! I had the incubator running for two day prior to adding my eggs. On the lowest setting the temp ran between 115-119F. To keep the temp between 100-102 I have the lid open about an inch and adjust it during the day as necessary and both ventilation plugs are open. So far the humidity has stayed beween 42-47%. Will keeping the lid open during the last few days and during hatch be an issue? Will I be able to regulate a higher humidity? I am absolutely willing to close my room off and run humidifiers if needed! Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    What the crap!!! I would be writing some letters to the manufacturer...

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    That is why I never want to buy LF incubators, so unreliable. I love my Hovabator Genesis!

4. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Is your thermometer accurate?
    I think I would have returned the incubator at the very start! Now 14 days into it.....
    lockdown suggestions: fill a very shallow tray with water and use sponges in it to give more surface area. I have even draped a wet terry towel along the edge/up the side to evaporate water for increased humidity.
    Place the entire bator in a large box and spritz water around it in the air to up area humidity.

5. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    I agree, I would maybe try another thermometer in there.
    Also, is it possible to run the bator power through a dimmer switch? Maybe that would add a bit more control for you.
    They have them at home improvement store for around 10 bucks. You just plug it into an outlet then plug your incubator into the dimmer.
    I'm not sure if this would work for sure, but might be worth a $10 try.
    Best of luck,
    Carolyn

6. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Where do you have your incubator? What is your room temperature? Have you Calibrated the thermometer ?

7. redhd077

redhd077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    Quote:i know this is going to sound stupid but are you turning the knob the right way? Did you turn it up instead of down??
    (only ask cuz it happened to me) I hope that you can get it figured out.

8. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Thanks for the suggestions! I have both the thermometer that came with the incubator plus a digital thermometer/hygrometer and they're within a couple degrees of each other. The 'bator is in my spare room which is about 69F, and isn't near a window or walkway. I keep the door closed most of the time. I have the temp knob turned as far as it will go toward "decrease temp". I received the LG as a Christmas gift, so I thought I'd give it a try. Next time around I'm going to get something more reliable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by