LG won't heat up.. HELP... now making mods, stay tuned!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bantam Chase, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Bantam Chase

Bantam Chase Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    I think my 15 year old LG has finally bit the dust... it heats up to around 88% and that's it. I think either the thermostat or rheostat is toast - leaning more towards the rheostat since when I turn the knob to increase the temperature, the light goes OUT instead of lighting up, and when I turn it the other way to decrease the temperature, I find a 'sweet spot' where it comes on, but turn past that and it goes out.

Finances are tight, buying a new 'bator is not an option, not even a $40 replacement LG. I could use my cooler bator, but the auto turner is sooooo nice, plus having a hatcher AND a 'bator is ideal since I"ll be doing turkeys AND chickens. I"m not afraid to tinker with it, and even bough a hot water heater thermostat thinking that would be a suitable replacement, but then read that style thermostat works off radiant temps (like my cooler 'bator), not ambient temps.

HELP!

2. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Have you thought about a dimmer switch, like what is used in home lighting? It's basically a rheostat, just in a slider version.

3. Bantam Chase

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    we thought about that, but doesn't it need to kick on and off in relationship with the temperature? If I'm thinking correctly, a dimmer switch or slider would keep the heating element cranking regardless if the temperature was continuing to rise inside...Please tell me if I'm wrong, I"m not electrically inclined!

Edited to think out loud... I see what you're saying - replace the rheostat but not the thermostat. Maybe I need to yank the old unit out and take it apart and see if there are two separate things in there...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  4. Bill 101

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Your right about the rheostat, it would supply a constant current (heat) it would be the thermostat that would click on & off.

5. Bantam Chase

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    ok, so i pulled it apart and the unit is a circuit board - the rheostat is soldered to resisters and other tiny little parts. Not a big deal, except the whole thing is covered in green fuzz, plus some capacitor thingy looks like it cooked, part of the Styrofoam is a bit melted and the diode looks scorched. [​IMG] I'm going to try the hot water thermostat since #1 - its only $8 and #2 - I already bought it before I read it may not work well... now to figure out how to wire...

6. Bill 101

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    The thing does looked a little cooked, don't it? Don't know how to advise you on installing water heater thermostat. I'm sure someone here has done it, maybe they will see this & be able to assist.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by