LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

And I guess I should have asked first if it was ok to hang out here some. I like open, accepting, and nice people and did not mean to barge in. Mention gardening or horses and I just start yammering. **blush**

I think we're pretty chill about who hangs out here as long as nobody's being a jerk, gaslighting, minimizing, sealioning, etc. :) So, welcome. I mean, there's a lot of varied interests in the community, including horses and gardens. XD I have one of the two, so that aint bad. And it's not like we don't have any straight pals.

But hey, I also have these Q-T-pi's.
Castor5_2.png

They started opening their eyes today. :)

Nope, sorry, don't have enough experience to know.
Positive ID is difficult, and important.
Yeah I know.... positive ID being the whole dang point of not just broad spectrum-ing them away! Naturally, these two cecal or roundworm eggs are supposed to be super hard to differentiate.

deeper i head into the world of parasites!

Hi fam! Anyone on the east coast doing any prep for Isaias? We’ve got 2 pretty heavy mobile coops that I’ve anchored down (the meat birds in them will be processed in a week), and we moved them out from under trees, but is there anything else you’d recommend doing? We do have a barn we could move them to in an emergency (it would be a difficult move though), but we are in eastern mass, so it’s looking like a tropical storm here, we are on the wind side of the storm, not the rain side. Any advice welcome!!

Hi fam! Anyone on the east coast doing any prep for Isaias? We’ve got 2 pretty heavy mobile coops that I’ve anchored down (the meat birds in them will be processed in a week), and we moved them out from under trees, but is there anything else you’d recommend doing? We do have a barn we could move them to in an emergency (it would be a difficult move though), but we are in eastern mass, so it’s looking like a tropical storm here, we are on the wind side of the storm, not the rain side. Any advice welcome!!
I’m in central Maryland, and I’m getting the brunt of Isaias tomorrow. I got some heavy ran and high winds tonight, but tomorrow is supposed to be bad. I can only recommend moving them into an area that isn’t movable, but since you live all the way up there it might just be like a bad thunderstorm for you.

I’m in central Maryland, and I’m getting the brunt of Isaias tomorrow. I got some heavy ran and high winds tonight, but tomorrow is supposed to be bad. I can only recommend moving them into an area that isn’t movable, but since you live all the way up there it might just be like a bad thunderstorm for you.

Hoping it’s not too bad for you! Be careful down there. And thanks for the info and update. Do you have peeps outside hunkered down or you have them all in a non-movable structure? Thanks for you reply and advice!!

Make sure that your center of your tractors or coops can handle weight in case a branch falls on it or a bunch of water pools up. This can be as easy as propping up the middle with an extra 2x4 or some PVC if you've got it as a temporary center post, with the base in a cinder block. Make sure you use extra zip ties on any tarps or coverings, etc.

Just gotta nail down what isn't and support what you can basically. Chances are good it won't be so terrible by the time it hits you.

Hoping it’s not too bad for you! Be careful down there. And thanks for the info and update. Do you have peeps outside hunkered down or you have them all in a non-movable structure? Thanks for you reply and advice!!
I have a shed with a coop inside, so I don’t have to worry about shelter too much. Tonight the storms started so suddenly I didn’t even know what was going on by the time it was too late to go out, so the door from the coop to the run was left open. The chickens just seemed to stay inside the coop, but tomorrow I am going to close the door and windows.

I’m expecting tornado like conditions, which aren’t too rare here this time of year, so I’m not too worried about me. Up there it sounds like it’s going to have mostly died down by then, so I would just batter down the hatches and keep an eye out for any falling branches.

Make sure that your center of your tractors or coops can handle weight in case a branch falls on it or a bunch of water pools up. This can be as easy as propping up the middle with an extra 2x4 or some PVC if you've got it as a temporary center post, with the base in a cinder block. Make sure you use extra zip ties on any tarps or coverings, etc.

Just gotta nail down what isn't and support what you can basically. Chances are good it won't be so terrible by the time it hits you.

That’s FANTASTIC advice re: center support. Will do that tomorrow morning. THANK YOU!!!

Back
Top Bottom