LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

Hey all,
We have our first real snow of the winter and it is freezing cold outside. My chickens seemed to have survived the night but now dont want to come out of the coop to get their food and water. Should I move some food and water in temporarily? The cold is supposed to last through tonight and I was planning on going out every couple of hours to change the water. Any thoughts would be helpful

Hey all,
We have our first real snow of the winter and it is freezing cold outside. My chickens seemed to have survived the night but now dont want to come out of the coop to get their food and water. Should I move some food and water in temporarily? The cold is supposed to last through tonight and I was planning on going out every couple of hours to change the water. Any thoughts would be helpful
You should move their food inside for sure. Depending on how well ventilated your coop is you could move the water in but most folks say don't do it. Why? b/c the moisture from the poop and water increase the air moisture content which can lead to frrostbite in combs and wattles.
If the coop is well vented, I would move the water inside during the day but be sure to take it out at night. :)

Hey all,
We have our first real snow of the winter and it is freezing cold outside. My chickens seemed to have survived the night but now don't want to come out of the coop to get their food and water. Should I move some food and water in temporarily? The cold is supposed to last through tonight and I was planning on going out every couple of hours to change the water. Any thoughts would be helpful

Ok, so, I might not and here's why.

If your coop is XXL it'll be fine for them to stay in it all winter. But if it isn't they may get crowded and not want to come out and may stress fight. Also if you don't wanna move the water in for frostbite concerns but do move the food in they probably won't come out to drink much and may get dehydrated.

I find my chickens are healthier and fight less when they're coming out through the winter. So I clear a patch of snow for them (we're in the snow belt) so they don't have to walk knee-deep in the snow just to come out, maybe throw some straw or old hay down, and make them come out if for no other reason than to eat and drink. They usually don't want to the first couple times and then they get over it and they're outside every day all winter long, even tromping through the snow sometimes.

So this really depends on your stocking density, flock dynamics and management preferences. But I don't bring it in.
snowbirds.png

Thanks @ChocolateMouse. I have not put anything in yet but they still haven't ventured out. If they don't, can they survive the day without water? That's really my only worry as after tonight tomorrow warms back up into the high 40s and 50s.

One day without food or water won't hurt an otherwise healthy animal. My only concern would be if they're already sick or something. But if the cold is only setting in for one day it would be easy to put a little food in the coop for just one day if you're worried.

Hey all,
Do you have a run, where they can be protected from the wind and snow?
Spread a bit of straw or shavings on the ground, after shoveling, to entice them out.

122977829_10100847271887184_7897002397255122099_n.jpg

As a reminder, there's a very strong dissenting opinion in the supreme court on if Obergefell v. Hodges (gay marriage) should stand. With recent changes and an uncertain future, these are the types of documents you need.

If anyone in Ohio needs help accessing a lawyer or minister for a hasty legal wedding or drawn up documents to make sure your partner has the legal right to care for you and execute your estate or vice versa, please let me know. I have a lot of contacts.

122977829_10100847271887184_7897002397255122099_n.jpg

As a reminder, there's a very strong dissenting opinion in the supreme court on if Obergefell v. Hodges (gay marriage) should stand. With recent changes and an uncertain future, these are the types of documents you need.

If anyone in Ohio needs help accessing a lawyer or minister for a hasty legal wedding or drawn up documents to make sure your partner has the legal right to care for you and execute your estate or vice versa, please let me know. I have a lot of contacts.
It's really sad that the world (or at least America) is like this right now.

I just found out that I am likely covid exposed by someone at work and have been having to think about how I want things handled if I catch it and die.

Back
Top Bottom