LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

Odd question to ask but would anyone happen to know a few reasons someone would be dropped down to only 1 shift per week???
I've honestly been too scared to ask any of my managers when I go in to work.
I've worked in store management before. We reduced hours/shifts when the owner/operators told us to reduce payroll hours. Also, sometimes with the seasons the amount of hours available change. And sometimes we would severely reduce the hours of someone when their performance wasn't optimal.

I would also ask why, in a curious way. If they are reducing hours for payroll reasons you can ask if your hours are going to go up again soon. If it is something in your performance you can genuinely work hard to improve. Feedback can be really hard to hear, but can help you grow a lot.

I've worked in store management before. We reduced hours/shifts when the owner/operators told us to reduce payroll hours. Also, sometimes with the seasons the amount of hours available change. And sometimes we would severely reduce the hours of someone when their performance wasn't optimal.

I would also ask why, in a curious way. If they are reducing hours for payroll reasons you can ask if your hours are going to go up again soon. If it is something in your performance you can genuinely work hard to improve. Feedback can be really hard to hear, but can help you grow a lot.
But both managers on duty when I'm working said that I was improving.

@KikiDeAnime I agree with Kale that the best thing to do is ask (though I empathize with how difficult that can be). FWIW when I worked at a restaurant for many years, I lost hours for all sorts of reasons many of which had nothing to do with me directly

- the manager made a mistake scheduling (very common)
-I was in trouble (rare)
-it was a slow time of year and they had to cut everyone’s hours to stay profitable (also very common)
-they hired someone new
-There was a misunderstanding about my availability
-Someone more vocal had demanded additional hours

Even in the very rare, worst case scenario of a performance related issue, talking things through produced a clear way forward to getting my old schedule back. And if it was another issue, like not enough hours to go around, being vocal about my desire to work helped pave the way for getting more shifts once things picked up.

Back
Top Bottom