LGD Great Pyranees Spaying

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by organictoon, Oct 18, 2016.

1. organictoon

organictoon Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2016
    Alright this is a question for the LGD experts.

I have recently got my pyr/anatolian mix spayed and I am keeping her in a crate in my garage during the healing time. This is making me flip out because she was doing
    VERY good watching chickens and almost stopped her climbing the fence. Now....

1. How long before you think she can be outside again?

2. I am worried she is gonna go backwards after the hours and hours I have spent with her.... She is only 6 months and I know there is lots of road to
    coved maturity wise... but is my approach acceptable of keeping her away from poultry for her healing process?

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Maybe you could try putting her on a leash while the chickens free range and see what she does

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    At six months old, she is likely to have bouts of going backwards now and again anyway. Follow advice above.

4. organictoon

Jan 6, 2016
    The worry is not being around the poultry its the fact she has the incision on her stomach and I would think she should not be laying in dirt with that not healed yet.

What am I suppose to do to let her heal and continue training?

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    A week at most. Then the real worry will start. I have been through this myself enough to know.

6. organictoon

Jan 6, 2016
    Thanks Centrachid,

What do you mean the real worry?

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Dog will be real peppy looking to burn off steam so more playful than usual. As pup, chickens might be put on plaything list for a short time during the steam letting..

8. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I have a Maremma....He was neutered and had back dewclaws removed...He was 5 months and was back out in 24hrs...With the female wait 48 and just monitor her...They are not known to be hyper...She will go lay down...Just take a damp cloth to clean the area and keep it dry...They heal quicker than we do...

Best of luck..

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by