LGD in Florida?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ConchRepublic, Jan 27, 2010.

1. ConchRepublic

ConchRepublic Looking For My Marbles

Jan 22, 2010
    Dunnellon, Fl
    What would be a good flock dog for Florida with the heat we get? Most that I look at that are among the best all have long hair which we would need to shave a lot and would shed everywhere when it came inside. Any suggestions for a heat tolerable dog that would make a good flock/family dog?

The wife wants an Aussie Shepherd, but I like the old world style dogs, not really wanting a German though, I've had plenty and all that I've had ended up getting bad back issues around age 4-6.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I have Great Pyr but they stay outside...

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Do you want a herding dog or a real LGD?
    They are not the same thing

LGD's live with the livestock all the time.
    Herding dogs should only be with them when they are working them

http://www.lgd.org/

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  4. ConchRepublic

Jan 22, 2010
    Dunnellon, Fl
    I want an LGD, she wants the aussie cause she thinks they're cute. We have to many predators around here for me to just let them free range without being constantly worried. If I let the range I'mout there with the rifle just in case. We've had 'yotes and hawks all around the house before.

5. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    coyotes and hawks all around the house

Just an FYI ... while coyotes are concerned a nuisance in so many parts of the country, hawks are PROTECTED and you can not randomly shot, trap, or otherwise harm without special permits.​

6. ConchRepublic

Jan 22, 2010
    Dunnellon, Fl
    Quote:Just an FYI ... while coyotes are concerned a nuisance in so many parts of the country, hawks are PROTECTED and you can not randomly shot, trap, or otherwise harm without special permits.

I don't shoot Hawks, 'yotes yes, but hawks no. I've always wanted to try falconry and just love birds of prey, but I try to scare them away from my flock when I can.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Youd be just as well off to get a mixed breed large pup from a pound and train it not to harm your chickens.
    LGD's that are allowed to roam have a tendency to wander.
    It sounds more like you want a "yard dog" than a real LGD breed

LGD's protect their animals, and not so much the territory

http://www.bountifulfarm.com/lgd_seminar.htm

8. RebelPride

RebelPride New Egg

Jan 11, 2010
    I live in FL with a small flock and some small livestock. I also have 5 kids that range from 5-15 years old. So I've alway had Golden Retrievers (great family dogs). My Golden and my Golden Retriever/Black Lab mix are also great flock/livestock guardians. They don't let any animals (or human) on the property. We have many predators around here also. The eagles and hawks don't seem to like the barking dogs when they fly by.The dogs are out with the flock/livestock and in at night while flock is cooped and the livestock stalled. The golden/lab also fines any quail that might get out while feeding, he will point it out and hold it til someone can grap it. Its just a thought. Anyways, good luck.

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

My GP's guard the property and the livestock, unless I let someone in. They stay out with the chickens, horses, emu, turkey, peafowl, donkey, zebu, mini horses, goats, sheep, llama, alpaca - they've seen it all. LOL. My property is fenced and my dogs stay put. It takes training, but they do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by