1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

LGD in GA (anywhere in SE)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by sandycreekpygmies, Feb 21, 2011.

1. sandycreekpygmies

sandycreekpygmies Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Georgia
    I have had an amazing Great Pyr named Alli for the last 7 years. She is an amazing dog, I haven't lost a goat or a chicken to a stray dog or coyote while I've had her. She never needed any training just always knew what her job was. I always know when babies are coming because she will want to go into the goat pen and wait. She has saved quite a few babies born on cold nights when their moms didn't want them. She cleans them up and keeps them warm til I get there. About 2 weeks ago she started limping and Saturday we found out that she has bone cancer and very little time left. I feel like a horrible person trying to replace a family pet before she is gone, but she is also a guard dog and she loves her goats. She wouldn't want them to go unprotected. I need to find a Great Pyr or maybe an Anatolian that is good with goats and chickens. Preferably grown since we have alot of coyotes and neighbors dogs. I would really like a trained pair but I know thats not easy to find, I need one that isn't bad about wandering. If anyone knows of any please let me know ASAP! I am very worried that I won't find one before we have to put her down and my chickens and goats won't have any protection. THANKS! Michelle

[email protected]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    So sorry about your dog.

I hope someone here can help.

She sounds hard to replace on all accounts.

3. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    We took in a rescue male Pyr who isn't working out with out family. We have another Pyr and he's very possessive of her. We couldn't stand the thought of him being put to sleep, but he is growling, etc. Needs a home with someone who understands Pyrs and can build his trust back. We are located an hour north of Mobile, Ala.

4. Julie_A

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    [​IMG]

5. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
  6. Misssc

Misssc Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    If you can't find any older dogs I have eight month old Komondor puppies for sale. I have four males and five females, all have current vaccines. I can't say for certain how they would do with poultry, but I could start one with goats. They are AKC registered and parents have great temperaments. Would be willing drive and meet you for pick up.
    csara 08 @ vt. edu

7. sandycreekpygmies

sandycreekpygmies Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Georgia
    Thanks so much everybody! I looked at getting a rescue dog and would love too, but I am off at college and only get to go home to the farm on the weekends and maybe 1 day during the week. I found one that guards goats and chickens and just needed a new home because her owners sold their animals. I'm getting her Thursday, Thanks so much! Michelle [​IMG]

8. Julie_A

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by