LGD pups- one or two?UPDATE p2!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Goose and Fig, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    We're going to get a puppy on Friday. He's a great pyr x anatolian shepherd. We've been looking for this cross for some time to help out around the farm. The parents are goat dogs. There are 7 more pups (all boys) still there. We already have a bernese mtn dog who's 12 years old- more of a house dog.

So the question is- should we get 2 pups? Or will they just play and be a tag team? Are they better LGD when there is only one? We have over 100 birds & geese & alpacas. 7 coops when we finish the last one. Thanks!

[​IMG]

The kids picked out the white one with the spots on it's back [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    I would have 1 puppy at a time in order to fully train the dog. with two puppies they are more likely to play with each other and not pay attention to you.

3. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Yeah- that's what I was thinking. Our older dog is going to be seriously PO'd [​IMG]

4. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    if your older dog is well trained he will be an asset to teaching the pup. if he has any bad habits the pup could also pick them up so beware.

5. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:He's amazing- but when we are inside- he's inside. He's really passive with the animals though- never hurt a fly. I hope we can teach the pup that the chickens & geese aren't squeaky toys! [​IMG]

6. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    What cute pups. The marks are called Badger marks on a Great Pyr. If you look at my Avatar you can see our Inka and her marks. Gee, its going to be hard to choose.

When we got two Pyr puppies from the same litter they formed their own pack and we were secondary to that pack. It worked well for them but we did not need them for farm dogs at the time. They did work well together.

We had a boy and girl. If I recall, if you are going to get two boys it is better to get them from the same litter.

7. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    OMG! SO cute! I would love one of these! Except my 4 dogs are having problems already and I think if I added another I would go insane [​IMG]

Where are you getting them from?

8. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    Most all LGDs come factory equipped with all the skills it takes to do their job; it's the extra features that get them in trouble. Most all of them, at some point or another, are going to need a little correction.

My opinion is that it's much easier to correct the extra features out of one LGD pup at a time.. [​IMG]

9. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Byrdstown- 2 hour drive. Want one? They're almost 8 weeks [​IMG] $50- not bad- the last people wanted $250!

10. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    If there were a female in the bunch, I'd be inclined to make that drive myself! Google says it's only about 3hrs/150mi.. We've taken longer drives for animals, and for $50?!?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by