LIars, not layers, WHY?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lynnc1120, Sep 1, 2014.

1. lynnc1120

lynnc1120 Out Of The Brooder

I have three new girls, 19 1/2 weeks old. This morning I woke up to a very loud egg song. Very egg cited because I have been eagerly awaiting my first egg, I quickly dressed and ran down to the coop to check for an egg. Nothing! All three girls were pacing at the door to be let out to scratch at the grass. Could they have plotted this to get me up to let me out? This waiting for an egg is very frustrating business!!

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    The egg song is basically the alarm call for 'predator spotted nearby'. Domestic chickens use it in the wrong context, hence it being called the egg song. My hens almost never make the 'egg song' and when they do it's because a predator is around, or something which has frightened them.

Best wishes.

3. lynnc1120

Thanks Chooks4life,

I looked all over the area for any predators and saw nothing. Both of my cats were on the deck, away from the coop, and were frightened by the racket, waiting to come in. No predators that I could see. Of course there could have been something that took off when they heard the racket...

4. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

Not to worry. My girls (all 20+ of them) made the so called egg song for at least a couple of weeks before I got an egg from one of them. Then it was and egg here and egg there for another week or so. Then JACKPOT!!! I had 19 eggs in one day and it has been going that way pretty much every day since. By the way, the egg song is really a cry for help. Translated into English it is "...OMG, get this thing out of me, give me some pain pills..."

Enjoy the wait. You will have eggs before you know it.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The 'egg song' and an alarm call sound almost identical.....having spent numerous hours in the last month or two closely observing my newly laying pullets I can attest that plenty of my hens announce their egg having been or about to be or just thinking about being laid and sometimes the whole flock joins in...... sometimes they sound off for no reason discernible to me.

Chickens will teach you patience.....or you can let them drive you nuts trying to figure them out....they do some weird stuff!

6. lynnc1120

Thanks, Its just that I see on here that so many people have hens laying eggs at 17 or 18 weeks that I am becoming impatient.. Big breath! I need to just relax and enjoy my ladies for the cute funny personalities that they are and one day (hopefully soon) they will reward my patience..

7. Quickster

Quickster Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    I had an egg countdown calendar ending at 16 weeks. I was really hoping they would start laying by then. They waited til 20 weeks. now they are 21 weeks and only half are laying. There is no being patient for that first egg. You can pretend to be patient, SAY you're patient but I think it is impossible to actually BE patient. Just keep on checking every hour, asking your chickens to please go lay you an egg, and asking everyone in your family "Do you think they will lay me an egg today?" and eventually, one day all that impatience will pay off and you will find your egg.

8. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I'm not the one whose hens aren't laying, lol, I've had laying hens for going on a decade now and they're still in lay.

The 'egg song' is not a normal part of their laying routine and I've never seen a hen make that sound while laying, though I did have a few who made that sound after laying. Their body requires too much oxygen while laying for them to carry on, generally.

Overall it's just an alarm call when my hens make it. Usually made because of a genuine predator appearance, sometimes just because of being startled.

Best wishes.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

10. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by