Lice, a losing battle?

J.D

Chirping
Aug 14, 2017
Britain
Hi guys, I need some help!

For the past two months I've been battling with lice on my hens.

Once a week when i clean the hen house (I poo pick throughout the week) I've been adding lice powder to the house and dusting the whole flock as well (under wings, around the vent - wherever I can see lice)

The number of lice has declined but I can still see them and baby lice too - they are definitely not overrun, I can only see a few on the individual birds but I don't know what else to do? I've attached a photo of the products I've been using (and I've sprayed the house with nettex de-mite spray as well)

IMG_0252.JPG
IMG_0253.jpg

The birds Look much healthier than when I first started. Is this as good as it will get or is there a way to get rid of them completely?

Anyhelp would be amazing!

What is the ingredient in your lice powders? Permethrin is a good ingredient in most lice powders, and has to be used at 10 day intervals to get the live lice, and then for the newly hatched lice before they are old enough to reproduce. The coop bedding, nests have to be emptied, the coop, nests, and roosts then all need to be sprayed with 10% permethrin liquid. If any lice eggs are left behind, it may need it again in 10 days.

Ivermectin pour-on can be used 0.1 ml per every 2.2 pounds of weight applied to the middle of the back between shoulders once and repeated in 14 days. The coop still then has to be treated.

Another possible treatment recommended by some is spinosad. Be sure to only use one of those products on your chickens, and wait to see results.

Hi @J.D

I took at look at both products you posted photos of.

The first one - Barrier Biotech Louse Powder - I just quickly read through the info, but this caught my eye:
http://www.barrier-biotech.com/product.php?pid=LP
Suitable for most animals: Barrier Animal Healthcare's Livestock Louse Powder can be applied to most animals including Cattle,Horses, Goats, Rabbits and other smaller pets that are over 7 days old. It can be used on both Sucking and Biting Lice. It works at repelling the Lice over a six week period. Not suitable for to use on Pigs because there is not enough hair to hold the powder. Not suitable to use on Birds because the powder will not hold in feathers.

The Nextex Total Mite Killer is Diatomaceous Earth. imho, DE is not effective on active mite/lice infestations. https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/chicke...l_mite_kill_powder_-_2kg_special_shaker_pack/

Since you have been struggling to rid your housing and birds of mites/lice it would be best to order a product like Permethrin or Spinosad. Or you may be able to source Ivermectin from your vet or order it online as well. I appreciate that you may be looking for a more organic product to use, but over time, a severe infestation can impact the health of your flock .

I hope you find a product that works for you, keep us posted.

That's for all of the replies everyone ☺️

@Wyorp Rock thank you for looking into it for me, I'm a bit confused though because it lists birds and poultry on the front of the packaging So that is a bit annoying!

I was hoping to avoid having to use a medicine but I think it may be a last resort. Like I said there are not loads of lice, and I've definitely got the numbers down but I just can't seem to rid them completely.

Do you know if there is an egg withdrawal period with ivermectin?

Thanks for all the help!

Hmm, I'm not sure. My birds were molting when I used it so they weren't laying anyhow.
But I've read that you should toss the eggs while using it. My hen was infested in lice and mites, and I put a few drops on her neck and by that evening I checked her over and I saw maybe 3 or 4 mites, but most were dead.

That's for all of the replies everyone ☺️

@Wyorp Rock thank you for looking into it for me, I'm a bit confused though because it lists birds and poultry on the front of the packaging So that is a bit annoying!

I was hoping to avoid having to use a medicine but I think it may be a last resort. Like I said there are not loads of lice, and I've definitely got the numbers down but I just can't seem to rid them completely.

Do you know if there is an egg withdrawal period with ivermectin?

Thanks for all the help!

I agree - the Louse Powder instructions are confusing - does it say what the ingredients are on your canister - just a quick glance back at that link, I don't see them listed. It is odd since Permethrin comes in powder/dust form and you apply it directly on the bird. The louse powder may be beneficial in the housing, but you want something that will treat the birds as well.

Ivermectin is absorbed into the bloodstream so there is a withdrawal period. It is not labeled for use in poultry in the US so finding the correct withdrawal is "iffy". You would want to consult your vet about that or do some reading and determine a time you are comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom