Lice again

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dana.Banana, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Dana.Banana

Dana.Banana New Egg

Aug 25, 2010
    Hello everyone . . .

I treated in December for lice . . . and now in March, I am doing so again.

My question is to use poultry dust or Eprinex - which one should I use? I have searched this site for answers to my question. Either option appears to be a good decision. However, I still prefer to check in with the forum.

I have treated with the sevin dust . . . and still have the bottle on hand. I actually had good results with the sevin (or poultry dust). I believe that according to one of the charts that I read, and I can't remember where I found it, that I should wait two weeks after treatment before consuming eggs from my hens. The main reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering if I should incorporate the use of eprinex.

I thank you . . . and my feathered gals thank you!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    there is no egg withdrawl with epernix, don't know with sevin,

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Technically, there's a 7 day withdrawal period after using sevin dust. http://www.cfo.on.ca/_pdfs/PoultryWithdrawalTimeChart-Mar30-07.pdf
    Sevin
    dust comes in a 1 or 3 pound canister. After you dust your chickens, you need to redust them in 10 days to kill the nits that have hatched since the first dusting. You must dust the inside of their house, nests and roosts. Then redust everything in 10 days. Redusting your chickens and coop will break their lifecycle.

4. carlinic

carlinic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    The Redlands, Florida
    I just had mites and I used the liquid Sevin Dust that attaches to the end of the hose and soaked the whole coop..walls, floors, ceiling, etc. and then dusted the chickens. I repeated a week later and it appears to of worked. I thought I would mention the liquid for the coop because in my mind soaking the coop it gets in the holes and areas that I wouldn't be able to get with the dust. Good Luck!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I'm glad you got rid of the mites, they are a pain. I prefer not to get the inside of my chicken house wet especially down here in the heat and humidity as you well know...mold and fungus can be a more serious problem. That's why I like the dust, it's more persistant. After I clean their house, I'll toss a couple of handfulls of sevin dust in there and then turn the leaf blower on....the dust blows everywhere, in every nook and cranie lol. I always wear a double mask when I do that...works great. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do to kill them. Good job!

6. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I got a shop vac this winter, with filters for extra-fine dust. Gonna vacuum out the whole poultry barn next month and then bleach-clean the floor and hutch-coops (used for broodies and as a sickbay). Then I'm blowing Sevin or permethrin into all the nooks and crannies and putting it on the fresh bedding.

The only thing is, I am going to try to resist the urge to see how many mites are in the shop-vac filter and retention container when I go to empty it. [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:If it's a wet vac too, suck up some bleachwater, that'll kill the mites. heheheh.

8. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:If it's a wet vac too, suck up some bleachwater, that'll kill the mites. heheheh.

Oh yeah. It is a wet vac too. Will be doing the bleachwater thang for sure. [​IMG]

9. Dana.Banana

Dana.Banana New Egg

Aug 25, 2010
    Quote:I'm glad you got rid of the mites, they are a pain. I prefer not to get the inside of my chicken house wet especially down here in the heat and humidity as you well know...mold and fungus can be a more serious problem. That's why I like the dust, it's more persistant. After I clean their house, I'll toss a couple of handfulls of sevin dust in there and then turn the leaf blower on....the dust blows everywhere, in every nook and cranie lol. I always wear a double mask when I do that...works great. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do to kill them. Good job!

The leaf blower idea is fantastic. Because bugs and things creep me out . . . I can throw in a few handfuls of the sevin dust and turn the blower on. Its a brilliant idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by