Lice and Mites qestion

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chicken crazed 1o1, Jul 5, 2011.

1. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    If you put ashes on your chickens does that get ride of lice and mites ?

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I occassionaly dump old wood ashes from our fire pit (when I clean it out) into a pile in our coops and the birds love dust bathing in it and we've never had a problem with our birds getting either pest.

Hope this is some help!

3. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    ok Im going to try it now thanks

4. samandmike

samandmike Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    food grade diatomasious earth might be spelled wrong but if you go to the feed store and ask about de thay will know has to be food grade it is a powder use it on floor of coop put it in an old dish sope bottle and spray it all around the coop trr not to breath it this will kill lice and mites i have been using it for 2 years and have not hade any lice or mites at all

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    If you do a search on here you will find frequently that the DE and wood ash are used more to prevent them from getting them. Usually you must resort to seven dust, poultry dust or ivomec pour on to eradicate them once they have an infestation.
    sharon

6. Marshchick

Marshchick Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Marshfield, MA
    Go with the food grade DE. I don't have bug issues either. I also sprinkle it in their bedding, etc. My cat had a ton of ticks one weekend, I think she walked into a nest of them. I put her in a wash bin, put some gloves on and literally rubbed her down with DE. The next day, where she got up from a nap, I found 6 ticks dead on the rug. That stuff works!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by