Lice and mites

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by backyardchickenfarmer, Jan 1, 2013.

1. backyardchickenfarmer

backyardchickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Toms river, New jersey
    What can I use on my pheasant to prevent mites and lice?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Pretty much anything sold for domestic poultry will work for pheasants & peafowl. The brand I used back in the day was Prozap from Orscheln's, worked for me.

Dan

3. backyardchickenfarmer

backyardchickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Toms river, New jersey
    Thanks for the reply, as a preventative, should i just dust the bird, or do their whole pen? (wouldn't be easy in a 10x10 pen Lol)

4. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    I would dust the calmer birds themselves as well as their perching. For the "crazy" species, I would dust their perching locations & areas where they were dusting in the aviary. I never did it that often, usually once the weather warmed up and it seemed to last year long. Only had one bad outbreak after I received a pheasant that was covered with them. The one dose on all the birds after that one bird seemed to knock them out, but then went into preventive treatment afterwards.

It is a good idea to do so, particularly if there are wild birds close the area. I always had wild bird feeders, suet blocks, & baths around so I could bird my yard, but it also attracted the dreaded English (House) Sparrow & evil European Starlings (I love nearly all bird species, but these two, they REALLY are a scourge in the US [​IMG] , wrecking havoc where ever they go!!!) - both species are known lice carriers. Never worried too much about the native sparrows or other natives. Small mesh will also keep the two mentioned species out - most of the time, but they are rats & mice with feathers and it never failed that a colony would establish themselves no matter what I did to prevent them.

Dan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by