Lice and sevin dust

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CCCCCCCCHICKENS, Aug 5, 2013.

1. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    When you put sevin dust on a chicken that has lice how long does it take the lice to go away? Thanks

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sevin dust kills lice right away, the active chemical is carbaryl. You have to redust your birds in 7-10 days to kill larva hatched from eggs. You also have to dust the inside of the coop and repeat again in 7-10 days.

1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2!

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Okay I was asking for a friend. They cleaned out the coop and everthing. And didnt know how long it took to kill them. They asked me and I was like I have no idea but I can find out. None of my birds have ever had lice. Thank you.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do an experiment... take one of your chickens, dust it, put it in a box on white paper towels, cover the box and come back in 40 minutes, I bet you'll find lice.

-Kathy

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Really? Is there any way to prevent your chickens from ever getting lice. I literally just checked mine today after my friend asked me just to make sure I wasnt in the same boat. I guess I am and didnt know it. What do you do when you take them to shows. Dust them before you go.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Lice can be introduced by wild birds. Chickens from outside sources can introduce external parasites to an existing flock etc...
    I've dealt with lice. It's best to observe birds for excessive scratching and feather loss...not to be confused with molt. Randomly picking up a chicken and visually inspecting it is best.
    I've never done shows. I dont see any reason why a chicken cant be dusted prior to a show, or afterwards for that matter.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The people I know that show birds bathe them before a show, maybe they use flea shampoo?

-Kathy

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Thank you very much, I show and always checked my chickens before, but never dusted them before. They have never checked them prior to the show. I think I will start doing that and after the show too, so that I can get rid of anything I picked up, now that I think about it when they come home from shows maybe I should put a little vet rx in their water. The only thing I could see being a problem is if someone brings one that is infested with them. I will research some more, thanks for the info and advice.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    What do you think VetRx will do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by