Lice and systemic treatments

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by RebusCom, Dec 13, 2012.

1. RebusCom

RebusCom New Egg

Dec 13, 2012
    Pasco, WA
    This is my first post to this forum so it's both an introduction and a question.

We're primarily a llama ranch but have about twenty chickens that turn bugs into eggs -- an amazing transformation. Recently I found a rather heavy infestation of poultry lice on a chicken, and likely that means they are all carriers now.

I've seen mention on this forum that systemic treatments have been used for lice, like ivermectin, frontline, etc. While I can see this would be effective for mites, ticks, fleas and other biting insects, lice are not blood feeders. I understand they graze on the surface. Consequently, I would think that only topical treatments that would come into contact with the lice would be effective and any systemic treatments would not be very effective.

I assume this means individual dusting or dipping on multiple occasions is the only real solution, but I'm open to easier methods of control as my time is very limited. The chickens are free ranging so don't have specific dust bowls and the only time they can be caught is at night.

Scott
    http://www.rattlesnakeridgeranch.com

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  3. RebusCom

RebusCom New Egg

Dec 13, 2012
    Pasco, WA
    I've found that Ivermectin is not very effective on external parasites, even including blood sucking ticks.

I had a llama go down with tick paralysis the day after a week long pack trip and she had a full injectable dose a few days beforehand, plus a pyrethroid pour-on just before going in. Right after she went down another dose of Ivermectin was administered. The three ticks she had still thrived. It wasn't until I found and removed the last one three days later that recovery began and the ticks were placed in a ziplock bag where they eventually completed their reproductive cycle.

The general consensus in the threads I've read on this forum seems to be that recurring dusting with Sevin or maybe a pyrethroid should get rid of the lice, but anything else has remote chance. Is that correct or is there something non-Ivermectin that is proven effective?

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    We've had good results on poultry with the Eprinomectin (zero withdrawal).

http://phthiraptera.info/Publications/42074.pdf (good info on lice - in `commercial' ruminants)

I'm not fond of Sevin as it persists and requires a 7 day withdrawal (Ivermectin is 30-35 day withdrawal). You could try Adams tick and flea spray (some folks swear by it).

Do your chooks have access to a dirt bathing area? Wood ashes and amorphous diatomaceous earth (food grade) mixed in to the dust bath will help alleviate infestations and make new ones less likely. Access to sunlight also helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by