Lice and Worms- do they always come back?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by asmilligan17, Oct 25, 2010.

1. asmilligan17

asmilligan17 New Egg

Oct 11, 2010
    I am looking to buy some black copper marans from a local lady. When I called she said they had lice and worms but for $50 more she would medicate them. I have 25 chickens and ducks at my farm and I'm worried about bringing lice and worms in. If these chickens have already gotten in multiple times, should I expect this to be a recurring problem once they've moved? I would keep them quarantined from my flock for a couple of weeks.

Not sure what to do! Really want the black copper marans, but don't know if I should risk it?

thanks!

2. asmilligan17

asmilligan17 New Egg

Oct 11, 2010
    Anybody? Any information will help! I am pretty new to chickens and have a lot to learn. I don't want my hens getting sick just because I really want some marans. I also don't want to have to delouse once a month.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

If you take the birds. You will need to quarantine and treat rigorously. If you can quarantine I would do it myself. That way you will know it was done correctly. I think $50 is too much. And there is no way to tell the future, yes it may come back regardless of what you do.

The bigger question is do you want these chickens at all. I would hesitate taking them. If they are infested with internal & external parasites. Who knows what else they have, or their condition. I would think twice, then think again before I would take them. There are other sources of BCMs.

Imp- good luck whatever you decide

4. asmilligan17

asmilligan17 New Egg

Oct 11, 2010
    Thank you so much for replying. I'm so bummed. It seemed like a good deal and they seemed like great chickens. She was really nice and talked about how good they are at mothering and the rooster even helps the mom find food for the chicks.

I was hoping you would say they are fine to get, but I'm glad you told me! Thanks so much!

ashley

5. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I would not take these chickens, they do not appear to have been well cared for.
    There seems to be enough that can befall chickens without inviting more problems.
    I would want to at least start off with healthy birds. Buyer beware.
    Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by