1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lice dander?bv

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by artsyrobin, Sep 5, 2009.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    hi everyone, i spent most the day de-licing my silkie pullet- she has a bad leg, so can't preen well. So i began brushing what i thought was dust off her, to find it was lice- so i got them cleared off of her, baths and oil, but that leaves the dander- how do i get it off? i've trimmed her head feathers, but an still having problems getting it off

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You might could use a very soft bristled baby toothbrush and lightly massage her scalp with it.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

A few more washings and maybe a tooth brush may help, else time will have them fall out. That said, watch out for any pin feathers, they naturally have a "dander" about them that comes off when the feather is mature, and if you break it too low, it can cause the feather to bleed.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Perhaps a good wash in some Dawn detergent and use a soft tooth brush to scrub. It will also help take off the oil residue.

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    well, it looks like the dawn is helping break them down, but i will be careful with them - my tendancy is to keep working on it, but if they have dried out, are the eggs dead? i did dust her with permethin, and her flock mates-

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    No, the eggs are still very much alive. That is why you need to retreat in a week to 10 days--you may need to keep doing this for awhile.

There are a few products that will kill the eggs, but most won't.

7. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    ok, she was so infested, i am really shocked- how fast does it take for them to matt the feathers around the wattles? thats where i am working on her now, at first i thought i could just comb them out, after applying dawn and waiting a little bit they are loosening up, and she doesn't mind the laptime, should i be bathing her routinely also? i have only had her a month, and she had an old leg injury when i got her, that is slowly getting better, but she hasn't been able to preen well, not able to stand on her left leg- i have videos on flickr- anyway, was thinking maybe that might have contributed to the problem

here is the link to her pics and videos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rgortonart/sets/72157621771410087/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by