Lice disappeared???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chooniecat, Dec 4, 2010.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    I treated my chix for internal parasites(1% ivomec drs. instructions) and noticed lice on one of my cleanest looking girls(I hate saying the word lice!!!OOOOH) anyhoo- waited for dry weather to dust them (appx. 5 days after worming) and the girl with lice had NO visable parasites on her skin. I have read, on here, that the oral wormers will not affect external parasites but I wonder now.

2. ColeyPoultry

ColeyPoultry Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    Foxton, New Zealand
    Perspirtation? Sorry I'm not much help but I'm intrigued as well!

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Unfortunately you only solved half the problem, lice & mites will return their just hiding. You need to treat your entire chicken area I mean the entire area. The little buggers hide in all the little nooks and cranny's you would never think of. You didn't mention if you treated your nest boxes......... OOoops see what I mean, run's, range area, under roosts, under feeders and waterers, and last but not least throw out all of your current beeding if any any get new clean stuff. So many folks forget this very important aspect of care, they just say OOhh my I have lice/mites, then they half a33 treat and then they return, so do you think that these things just magicaly appear, they come from somewhere and will keep coming back if your not very diligent.

AL

4. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    I know basically what to do for external pests but BEFORE I dusted this chicken the lice were not on her and I have read that the lice DO stay on them. only got thru half of the chickens before the rest escaped(of course) but still found it odd there are NO visable lice on anyone now. the first time I spotted them on her it was middle of day and she was nesting so I picked her up just for the heck of it and thats when I discovered the creepies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by