LICE HELP!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by suburbansilkies, Apr 22, 2017.

1. suburbansilkies

suburbansilkies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2016
    England, UK
    Hi, my chickens have just got lice as they were forced to stay inside their coop and couldn't free range for a while due to UK bird flu restrictions which were lifted on the 13th. The reason I'm worried is because they've had it for quite a while. Initially I used diatamaceous earth to treat them which seemed to work but hasn't got rid of them completely. What's the best cure for lice?

2. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Clean out the entire coop, everything. Spray the coop down but make sure the chickens stay out of it just for awhile, then dust the chickens with might dust. don't use straw for bedding only shavings and hay. Good luck!

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Great link given by Teila, but you can search for treating lice in the search box for other threads on the topic, should you wish.

You may also wish to drop by the UK members thread and say hi - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/655508/uk-member-please-say-hi/890 - they are a nice bunch.

Best wishes
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The chicken community is pretty much divided 50-50 on the effectiveness of DE in any applications. Personally I wouldn't waste my money on it again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by