1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

&%^$#& Lice!!!!!!!! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Willem81, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Willem81

Willem81 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    Thornton, Co
    So I started a new job recently and have not been the caretaker of my flock lately (mom and girlfriend have been)! I went out to see how they were all doing today and give them some love and I noticed my roo is super skinny!!!! Upon closer inspection I found that he is VERY infested with lice!! DANG IT!!!!!! I read that this time of year is notorious for their spreading.. SO I am guessing that my girls have them too... what is the best way to deal with this? I bought the dust months ago but haven't had to use it. I gave him a quick dusting but will do a more thorough one tomorrow when I have some help... As they free range I am also worried about how I am going to treat the WHOLE OUTSIDE!! ! AHHHHHHH HELP!!!

2. Willem81

Sep 16, 2009
    Thornton, Co
    bump

3. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Dust them on a regular schedule. Also, put the ashes from the wood stove or fireplace out for them to dust bathe in. This keeps down the parasites.

When chickens free range they pick up these parasites from wild birds. Keep the chicken feed in the coop away from wild birds.

Rufus

4. Willem81

Sep 16, 2009
    Thornton, Co
    yeah food is totally away from other animals deep inside the coop. I went and got sevin and dusted my roo and one of the other girls... gotta go to work now so I can't do the others til tomorrow.... so far out of 11 I have only seen those two with lice (out of the 4 i have inspected...)..... BAH! thanks for the advice.

5. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:It totally sucks!! I feel your pain, I just found mites on mine and I've got to clean and disinfect the coop, as well as worm the girls/roo tomorrow myself. I've been dusting them daily and their roosts and coop, but the overhaul begins tomorrow. I've got to work too, as well as a dinner with an old friend tomorrow night. Talk about rushing!! [​IMG]

6. Willem81

Sep 16, 2009
    Thornton, Co
    I just did a big clean last weekend and then found the lice today.... BAHHHHH!!!!!! *knocks on wood* luckily no mites yet. I have a hook up on a woodburning stove user that is going to hook me up with a 5 gallon bucket of ash every week... thanks for the well wishes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by