Lice infestation treatment using liquid Permethrin 13.3%

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Saris, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Saris

Saris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    Okay, So I have Permethrin concentrate with 13.30% Permethrin in it. It says to dilute 8 ounces into 16.5 gallons of water and spray 1/2 ounces of that solution per bird or 1 gallon for 100 birds.

I have max 12 birds to treat so I think I should be safe only making a single gallon of diluted solution. So 1/2 ounce concentrate to a gallon of water, then I mist all the coops and bedding and stuff. Would this also be misted on the birds themselves or would I put some in a little dropper bottle and apply the diluted liquid directly onto their skin?

Mostly this if for treating poultry lice on a very underweight roo so I don't want him to get too damp (hence using the dropper bottle), unless I can dip him and blow dry him dry, I don't know if that will hurt or help.

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I'd use Sevin dust. >.> But that's me.

I have no idea about the liquid stuff. Sorry... I hope someone else has more info!!

MrsB

3. Saris

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    I ended up powdering him with prozap garden and poultry dust. I've heard that sevin dust has been banned from poultry use since it has a lifetime withdrawl period.

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I can still pick it up in powder form from Lowe's, Tractor Supply, and my local feed store... I've heard they were going to pull it due to "misuse" and "over-use" ... That was almost 10 years ago now, and I feel like that's how rumors get started. [​IMG]

But regardless what they do with Sevin, you can still buy bags of Carbaryl powder, which is the active ingredient in Sevin dust. :)

And technically, there is a seven-day withdrawl time, but I've eaten eggs from chickens that I just dusted, and I am still here breathing and typing! Your mileage may vary.

MrsB

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  5. Saris

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    Good to know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by