1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lice issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkiefluff, Aug 29, 2013.

1. silkiefluff

silkiefluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    NS, Canada
    I noticed lice on my black Silkies the other day...I assume lice because it was white and didn't move very fast. Hubby and I dusted everyone with Sevin last night. This morning I noticed a whole bunch of lice on the puffs of the Silkies heads. I read not to get Sevin around their heads, so my question is how do I get the lice off the top of their heads and around more sensitive areas?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You may have to dust them very carefully with your finger, keeping it out of the eyes.. The lice should move down onto the body in order to feed which will kill them since they are probably just running away from the dust. Be sure that you clean out your coop and nest boxes, and dust or spray your coop. Then keep treating the lice every 10 days until they are gone.

3. silkiefluff

silkiefluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    NS, Canada
    Okay, thanks! Is it normal for them to act "itchy"? Some of them seem completely normal and one or two others act a bit different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by