Lice & Mite Prevention

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 2bradleys, Aug 25, 2010.

1. 2bradleys

2bradleys Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    Is dusting for lice and mites something that I should do regularly, as a preventative method...or just something that should be done when there is evidence that lice or mites are present? If I should be dusting routinely, what should I use and how often? I have 6 hens and a rooster; they have a coop, but they also free-range quite a lot. I've tried finding another thread to answer my own question, but wasn't having any luck...only finding what to do once an infestation has already occurred. Thanks!

2. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    You may choose to use seven in a dusting bath with sand or DE or another backup I use in the spring and fall is pour on Ivermectin.... use like you would for dogs... The directions are on this forum on a thread somewhere... works fantastically....No more worries about what the natives bring in.

3. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I don't have the answer you're looking for but I just found tiny tiny bugs living under the bark of my chickens roosts. I don't know the difference between lice and mites, and am wondering how to get rid of them. I spread DE around in the nest boxes and along the roosts but my coop is all raw exposed wood so the darn bugs are probably everywhere.
    My hens have been losing feathers like crazy and I thought it was our heatwave that caused it. Now I'm not so sure. They also free range all over our acreage in the bushes and pastures with the wild birds.
    Our eleven week olds are supposed to move in there next week so I need to solve this problem quickly. Does anyone use whitewash anymore and would that help?
    Sorry if I'm homing in on the OPs post but we're in the same boat, so might as well row together, eh?

4. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Quote:Once a year, I strip out my coop to the bare wood, and then set off one of those insecticide bombs you can get at the feed store. I close it up tight to keep the birds out, and that afternoon, I turn on fans and air it out, fill it with fresh shavings and hay, (after dusting the shelves and boxes) and off we go. I also use the Ivermectin now, as well.

Those bombs are great, they kill not only any bugs, but any mice or rats hanging out in the walls too! Muahahaha! Yes I know I am evil, but after watching a rat lunge and try to grab one of my baby silkies, in broad daylight, I have declared war on all non-invited guests....

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by