1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lice/Mites...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silvercat76, Nov 26, 2011.

1. silvercat76

silvercat76 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Mountaidale
    Hey all, I had an issue in my flock last week with lice/mites (white and brown bugs) on just my rooster. I had just cleaned my coop the week before and put some DE on the floor plus I had dusted them all in the DE. The lice/mites almost took my loving rooster as he was weeping from his mouth and eye. My rooster was covered with these white and brown lice/mites so bad, I felt so bad that I never saw the signs of this before it got this far out of control. I figured the lice/mites were draining him to the point he ended up with a respitory infection, so I started my flock on duramycin. I found that for a live infestation people use "horse lice dusterIII" by me, so I bought some and dusted him in a pillow case and a few hours later they were dead. My question is how does one bird in a flock of 20 end up with lice/mites so bad it almost killed him? We did treat the whole flock for lice/mites and on duramycin. I put my roo on the duramycin liquid for three days and treated the water for the flock. So any help would be great. We have had him since the end of Sept and we kept him seperate from the original flock for about a two week period before introducing him to his flock.

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Lice and mites actually have a two week breeding pattern of eggs hatching. Always Isolate for 4 weeks and treat as if there are bugs on them ,even if you do not see them. Also Resp. problems may show up in the 3rd or 4th week. Always isolate for one month. I use sevin and use it every two weeks on new birds I have not reared myself. I use it in their litter. I use it in their dusting area too. Even if you have just cleanned your coop their maybe eggs in there and not show up until two weeks is done. I hope this helps some. Gloria Jean

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x2

4. silvercat76

Oct 26, 2011
    Mountaidale
    I understand there is a two week wait for the eggs, but we have had the roo for two months! I just don't understand how one bird in the flock of 20 gets the lice/mites. I treated the whole flock to the horse life disterIII that I used on the roo and I plan on doing them again on day 10.

5. lingling

lingling New Egg

Jul 14, 2009
    Harpersville, AL 35078
    It seem that mites/lice always pick one bird out to really eat on. It may be the weakest one in the flock or one that is stressed. Or just that that bird "tastes" better to them. But then the mites/lice will more on to other birds in your flock.
    You may need to always check that roo more often than some of your other birds. because he "tastes" better.

Someone told me OEG don't get mites. Other breeds are more prone to get them. Who knows why? I don't.
    Good luck.

6. silvercat76

Oct 26, 2011
    Mountaidale
    Quote:Ok great thanks, ive been looking at a few different birds everyday. But whats OEG?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:There's a 21 day withdrawal for duramycin.

8. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Stress from the change in his situation could have reduced his immune response enough for them to gain a foothold.

9. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    the spot where he roosts may be the mites' home nest. A crack in the wood? A seam in the wall stud? Underside of the bark of his log? Maybe the spot where he usually roosts is the place the mites hang out during the day.

At night, sundown, they move out and onto the birds. Your other birds are probably being infested during their sleeping hours. As dawn approaches the fully loaded mites mostly return to their home within the wood.

10. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I think OEG is Old English Game.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by