1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lice & Mites

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chicken Goddess, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Chicken Goddess

Chicken Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

I want to know some symptoms of lice on chickens and how to prevent them and treat them. Im really desperate because my chickens has a bold patch at the joint of her tail. would this be a lice infestation? Please help

2. xmonster0

xmonster0 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Calhan Colorado
  3. Chicken Goddess

thanks![​IMG]

4. xmonster0

Jun 1, 2013
    Calhan Colorado
    No problem.

i had a friend give me a bottle used it once on my chickens and coop. haven't needed it since,

used properly 1 bottle can equal a lifetime of lice and mite freedom :)

5. Chicken Goddess

Would this spray by any chance work on the avian pox disease? my poor chicken has avian pox and im told to spray the coop but with what. do you happen to know?[​IMG]

6. Chicken Goddess

P.S. Thanks

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  7. xmonster0

Jun 1, 2013
    Calhan Colorado
    no poultry protector will not help you with this

Spray the coup and run with a 10% bleach solution, which i would just put in a spray bottle which you can get at a dollar store if you don't have one.

There is a vaccine that you can get at your feed store for avian pox, you need to vaccinate you non affected chickens as it will spread to them.

as for the birds that do have it

You will need to quarantine them unless they are the only chickens you have

you can remove the skin lesions with sodium bicarbonate or Lugol's solution of iodine

and you can bath their eyes with a 1-2% saline solution

Just keep in mind there is no cure or treatment for avian pox , it needs to run its course, and you will need alot of patience..

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  8. Chicken Goddess

Thanks for the info. My dad has plenty of Lugols iodine. and as for quarrantine, its too late, my infested chook has been hanging around the other 2 for a week now. although only the sick one has stopped laying eggs. the others haven't. whats with that? Thanks anyway![​IMG]

9. xmonster0

Jun 1, 2013
    Calhan Colorado
    plain yogurt in a little bowl, they will go crazy for it , and it will give them a boost of calcium and protein and a good chance to recover egg laying

10. Chicken Goddess

Just gave my chickens some yogurt and they scruffed on it! thanks for the idea.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by