Lice/mites

Some people just lay the bird down on a towel, and dust it throughout all of the feathers, taking care not to get it in the eyes, nose, and mouth. Others recommend putting the sevin dust and the bird in a pillowcase up to the neck where it is tightened around the neck, shaking the dust around to distribute it.

Some people just lay the bird down on a towel, and dust it throughout all of the feathers, taking care not to get it in the eyes, nose, and mouth. Others recommend putting the sevin dust and the bird in a pillowcase up to the neck where it is tightened around the neck, shaking the dust around to distribute it.  

You helped me a lot with the thread "Snotty, raspy chickens", thank you BTW, I think they are feeling better. They have no more foul odor to their nares. Just waiting for the other symptoms to subside. But while giving the Tylan injections, while I was digging through feathers trying to find skin, I saw these lice so I want to treat. The pillow case idea sounds great. Thanks, you are very knowledgable. I guess I need to clean out the coop and dust in there too? Do I retreat in a certain number of days?

Thank you. I'm glad they are doing better. Lice treatment is recommended every 7-10 days, and mites are 4-7 days. Yes the coop and nest boxes need cleaning, and be sure to cart the contents far away. Permethrin spray is easy to spray the coop with--just get the birds out of there for a while, and put fresh shavings in. I have learned a lot just reading the posts on here and looking things up.

Thank you.  I'm glad they are doing better.  Lice treatment is recommended every 7-10 days, and mites are 4-7 days.  Yes the coop and nest boxes need cleaning, and be sure to cart the contents far away.  Permethrin spray is easy to spray the coop with--just get the birds out of there for a while, and put fresh shavings in.  I have learned a lot just reading the posts on here and looking things up.

Now is that until I don't see any more lice on the birds or until the end of time? Thanks for the advice on the Permethrin spray. I use pine shavings and we have a burn pit. I just throw the used shavings in there and we burn them.

Back
Top Bottom