1. christie22701

christie22701 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    Can y'all tell me how to treat with Sevin?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some people just lay the bird down on a towel, and dust it throughout all of the feathers, taking care not to get it in the eyes, nose, and mouth. Others recommend putting the sevin dust and the bird in a pillowcase up to the neck where it is tightened around the neck, shaking the dust around to distribute it.

3. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia

You helped me a lot with the thread "Snotty, raspy chickens", thank you BTW, I think they are feeling better. They have no more foul odor to their nares. Just waiting for the other symptoms to subside. But while giving the Tylan injections, while I was digging through feathers trying to find skin, I saw these lice so I want to treat. The pillow case idea sounds great. Thanks, you are very knowledgable. I guess I need to clean out the coop and dust in there too? Do I retreat in a certain number of days?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Thank you. I'm glad they are doing better. Lice treatment is recommended every 7-10 days, and mites are 4-7 days. Yes the coop and nest boxes need cleaning, and be sure to cart the contents far away. Permethrin spray is easy to spray the coop with--just get the birds out of there for a while, and put fresh shavings in. I have learned a lot just reading the posts on here and looking things up.

5. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia

Now is that until I don't see any more lice on the birds or until the end of time? Thanks for the advice on the Permethrin spray. I use pine shavings and we have a burn pit. I just throw the used shavings in there and we burn them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by