Lice on feather shaft

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by henney penny, Aug 25, 2013.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I found lice eggs on my chickens,the rooster had it real bad,(that's what I get for buying from someone) I have dusted them all (50+) with poultry dust mixed with DE.The rooster I did that to then two days later dusted him with sevin.I have some lice and mite killer spray coming so will do them all again.My question is what do I do about the eggs on the feather shaft,I don`t want to pull any more feathers out of the rooster has hardly any feathers left.Will the dustings and spray get rid of the eggs?This is my first encounter with this and I am so mad that this guy lied to me and told me the reason the rooster had no feathers on his neck was because the other roosters were picking them out.I didn't want him to begin with but wanted the hens and he told me the only way I could have them was to take him to!I have had them for 3 months now and not knowing it has infected most of the flock,glad they are bantams not to hard to dust them,do it at night so its not so stressful on all of us.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    From what I have read, dusting after 10 days should get the eggs that hatch. Be sure to treat all chickens, and clean out the nest boxes and litter.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The dusting and spraying will not get rid of the eggs. You will have to wait for the eggs to hatch. To get rid of the mites when they hatch, dust the birds with Sevin seven days after the first dusting. This is what I do when my birds have mites.

4. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Thanks everyone,when should I do the litter ater the last dusting?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since she is treating lice not mites, she should dust at 10 days. I would clean the litter after the first dusting.

6. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Got coop all cleaned out and vacuumed today,7 hours,one more treatment and hopefully I can get by with monthly treatments

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by