Lice on Mother hen! Do I dust the nest?

kandyp

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 16, 2012
I just discovered lice on one of our hens who is currently sitting on 8 eggs. I saw at least 10 crawling around her eye, but there was no evidence of them being anywhere else in the coop. I'm quite sure she hasn't had them for long—a week at most. The question is: what do I do???

I have Pestene Insect Powder which I used last time but I'm worried this may affect the developing eggs (8th day of sitting). At the moment I sprinkled some dust around the coop and on her neck and in around her in the nest box and am waiting for her to get off so I can move the eggs to a clean nest box. Is this a good idea? I don't want to kill the chicks!

Or should I just wait for her to get off then dust both her and the nest box and eggs heavily? Does anyone know if this is safe?

I think I would not do anything, does she get free time to dust bathe herself? after the chicks have hatched may be give her a bath, and the chicks when they have their feathers.

While she's off the nest I'd dust her and carefully remove eggs to change bedding. Only dust under the new bedding, not the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom