Lice or mites? --- little blackish brown bug looking things crawlin all over my nest boxes and chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PurplePoppiPpl, Jan 29, 2013.

1. PurplePoppiPpl

PurplePoppiPpl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    North Western Wisconsin
    i am not sure what these things are but i am hoping someone can tell me how to get rid of them... i found them all around the nest boxes and some were on my arm after one of my banties flew up onto it. does any one know how to treat them?

here are some pics, sorry they arent the best:

[​IMG]
    those little black dots are the parasites im wondering about...

[​IMG]
    this is the handle of a bucket that is on top of my nest boxes( the little black things are the "bugs")

2. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Those are most likely mites. There are so many types. Lice however are long and white/clear and only live on the bird were mites live on the wood and the bird. I use poultry dust for mine, you can also use sevin dust the same kind you use on your garden. I take an old panty hose and cut the leg off and put the dust powder in and use it like a powder puff to dust their bottoms and under wings really well and the rest of their bodies too, lift the feathers to get in on the skin where they hide

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Dust your birds with sevin dust, also dust inside the coop/nests/roosts. Repeat dusting your birds and inside the coop again in 7-10 days.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. tdmom

tdmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2012
    western NY
    Is there an egg withdrawal period when using that Sevin dust?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by