LICE OR MITES?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HankGa, Jun 6, 2008.

1. HankGa

HankGa Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    we noticed a couple of our chickens have some small brown spots around their eyes, ears, and side of their head. they are itching them. we are not sure what they are or how to treat them. any suggestions?

2. msrma7670

msrma7670 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mites proably! lice lay eggs and make webs in the hair. Let the chickens do some dust baths they naturally do this to prevent it. As far as posions go dont know I know the ones I use at work on people are very toxic to people.

3. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    get some poultry dust..something with permathrin..such as Ectiban-D made by durvet..
    and dust the birds.
    around the head area, use a toothbrush to avoid getting the dust in their eyes..

you will have to clean the coop..remove all bedding.
    what do you use for bedding?
    treat coop with the dust or Permathrin spray, following directions on label.
    replace with new bedding.

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Or try food grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE). They can dust bathe in it and it will kill the mites organically. You can put some in their food, too, for internal parasites.

Good luck!

5. HankGa

HankGa Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    we did put the D E in the coop. we are using hay for their bedding. Is the hay o.k. to use for bedding? thanks for the info.

6. sunbury chick

sunbury chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Sunbury,Ohio
    I am really worried now, can humans catch lice or mites from chickens?I'm itching just thinking about it... somebody, please tell me it's not possible. Sunbury Chick

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You cannot get chicken lice. They are species specific.

Use Sevin dust 5% and powder them up. Clean out your coop and dust it before you put in fresh bedding and after. In 7 - 10 days dust them again.

It is the same dust you use in the garden. Just don't fluff it around and inhale the dust. Use a bandana or something and cover your mouth and nose.

I take a pantyhose and cut the foot out. Fill it with dust, tie it off. Use it like a powder puff.

Turn your chickens upside down and puff them all over. This helps get the dust down in the feathers and against the skin where the lice and mites live.

You can do a chicken in 30 seconds or less. It won't hurt them.

8. sunbury chick

sunbury chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Sunbury,Ohio
    Thank you missprissy for the info,now I don't itch.I guess it's all in the head,isn't it?

9. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Black specks around their face can also be sticktight fleas.

If it is fleas you will have to cover the areas in vaseline to smother them out.

Matt

10. chickmommar

chickmommar Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a hen with odd scabs or something on her ears. When it was just one, I thought she had been pecked there and scabbed over but now I see it's in both ears. Are there specific ear bugs that this might be? I can't find anything like that in my Chicken Health Handbook but it may not have everything. I use Sevin dust but haven't in a while. I did just do DE in the coop. Poor Elsie, she seems to get everything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by