Lice! PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by neener92, Aug 9, 2010.

1. neener92

neener92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    My babies in the outdoor brooder have lice! Some have just hatched today! Can I use lice dust on them or are they too young! PLEASE HELP! [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:I just did a little searching for an answer. Most people recommend Sevin 5% or Poultry dust even for chicks. There was some reservations about it cause of the age of the chicks, but I saw no posts about ill effects. One knowledgable person recommended going to the pet store for a caged bird treament. Another suggested washing the chicks with Dawn dishwashing detergent. Whatever you do you will need to seriously clean the coop/brooder, and retreat in 10-14 day to get the unhatched eggs.

Good luck

Imp

3. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    I've used pam cooking oil spray and it seems to suffocate the little bugs... Worked for me, but I'm sure commercial poultry dust or whatever would work as well if not better. I just had the PAM on hand and am lazy to go to the store [​IMG]

4. neener92

neener92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Thank you! I used some Permethrin for livestock and poultry (it's all I had handy), I've already lost a few babies. I hope it is ok for them. I'm trying to look it up but I can't find anything. I dusted them at around 12am and they seem to still be doing fine. I'm still sooo worried though! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by