Lice question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PapaChaz, Apr 11, 2011.

1. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    Since I know lice are blood suckers, are the eggs safe to eat if the chicken has lice? just a curiosity thing, anyone?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    The eggs are fine to eat, but the problem needs to be addressed or soon you won't have any eggs. Parasites will debilitate chickens and make them stop laying if allowed to go on too long. In some cases, parasites can actually kill chickens by draining them of their blood.

Good luck.

3. PapaChaz

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    Hi and thanks for the response. we treated all the girls yesterday with permethrin, plan on doing it again in a week, and then again in two weeks, with ongoing inspections on a regular basis. thanks for the help, i was just wondering if the eggs were bad. thanks!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Nope, enjoy your eggs -- and do let us know how the treatment goes, too, whether it gets them all.

5. PapaChaz

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    i will dawn! i treated them sunday, i used the permethrin liquid, mixed up some in a spray bottle and soaked them down good, completely cleaned the coop, new shavings in the nests and on the floor, sprayed down the walls, the floor, the cracks in the joints....gonna do it all again at next sunday afternoon. today i spent time in the coop with them, hand feeding them meal worms, poor things won't have a clue sunday when i come in the run it's all a set up, at least the first one won't, LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by