1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lice treatment options please

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KDbeads, Nov 23, 2009.

1. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Well..... I was just cleaning May's face, she's been inside in the hospital crate for almost 2 weeks now with a head injury that's mostly healed, I have been doing this twice a day but today I saw 2 lice crawling around on her neck feathers! ICK!!!!!!
    No signs of lice before now on anyone and we check weekly, paranoid I know but I don't like creepy crawlies. Anyway I need options for treatment. Most of the poultry dust available in this area are pretty much the same as Sevin dust and I'm allergic to that. What else can I use? Was thinking about the pour on ivermectin but the feed store out here has no clue what I'm talking about so it's got to be under another name. If you have a link to a pic of the product that would help!
    Also I do have a tube of 1.87% ivermectin paste oral horse wormer.... can this be used? Do I give it orally? How much??

2. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    No one? [​IMG]

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
  4. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    I'm not sure on that one..... Feed store didn't have it last time I looked for poultry dust though....

5. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I recall using the pour-on but do not recall reading where anyone used the paste on chickens. Might check the "Search" feature near the top of the page.

Checked the "Search" and found "I personally, used ivermectin paste, labeled for horses, and gave a tiny bit to each chicken orally." at https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3184607

Excellent
    thread at https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2793326 where the recommendation for the paste is a BB-sized piece directly into the chicken beak.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  6. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Hmm..... must not have seen those when I was digging through the search results last night, Thanks!

I did end up getting a bottle of the pour on ivermectin a few minutes ago and double checked the dust they had..... it was malithion which I can't use [​IMG] I am using the paste for heartworm meds in the dogs already so it will still be used, plus the pour on I can use for mange treatment in the rescue.

7. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I think that might be what my chickens have. I just treated them with a product called Garden and Poultry Dust. I got it at Fleet Farm. Don't know if you have one near you. I paid $5.99 for 2lb bottle. It calls for 1 lb per 100 chickens. I just treated them today so I am not sure how well it works. I hope that helps.

This is a link to the BRAND that I used. That way you can see the bottle I used.

http://www.google.com/products?sour...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CBwQrQQwAw

8. jensen

jensen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    I would work in a bit of malathion dust for the lice (follow directions) and for scaly leg mites I've found scalex to be very effective.

9. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I have found the ivermectin does not work on the feather louse. It usually only kills bugs that take a "blood" meal like mites.

I use a horse spray made by Farnam called Ultra Shield. Spray a little on the back of the neck, under both wings and the fluff of the butt and repeat in 2 weeks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  10. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Quote:Can't use malathion..... means a trip to the ER for me but thanks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by