Lice treatment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicks Galore3, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My chickens have been showing various symptoms of not feeling well - several were slightly lethargic, some had floppy combs, and egg production dropped. I couldn't for the life of me figure out WHY. But, this morning, I did a check for mites/lice....and yup, that was it. The two I checked had nits on their feathers, and I saw several little buggers scurry away. I'm not sure what kind they were - they were an orange-yellow color and looks slightly transluscent, and were "big" for mites/lice; I'm thinking it's lice. How do I treat this? I have several canisters of Permethrin. Would that work? Do I need to treat the whole coop, or just the chickens?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Powder on the birds, and I think you should probably remove all bedding in the coop and spray it with a permethrin spray.

-Kathy

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    resubscribing

4. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    So, I dusted everything and everyone...Will I need to redust the birds in a certain number of days? Also, if I have chicks in a separate coop, but go in there after having been with the infested chickens, will I have spread the lice to them? Or is it only bird to bird contact?

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Yes, retreat in 7days.
    It's possible the critters could be transferred to your chicks. I would check them over, even though they are babies and may be in a coop, you can provide them with a tub of dirt to take a dust bath in. I gave my 1week olds a tub of dirt mixed with a little wood ash and they loved it.

Just my thoughts[​IMG]

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by