Lice--trx options and some questions

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Niss, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Many of my hens have lice around the vent. I want to treat them this weekend. I would like something safe for all ages (I have some in the last steps of feathering out). I also think drops--internal or external would be easier than bathing or dusting.

Should I deworm at the same time or is that too stressful? I haven't seen worms or the foamy worm poo, but if I will have a withdraw period when I can't use the eggs anyway and it's safe for them, I might as well, right?

2. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    my chickens have lice to
    from one dang bird that i took in
    I love chickens. but not when they cause problems! i put up a post about this a little while ago... before i found yours. so we are waiting for an answer together
    good luck to the both of us!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sevin dust will kill lice, redust your chickens in 10 days to kill nits that hatch from eggs. You have to dust the inside of their house and nests as well, repeat dusting in 10 days as well.
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

4. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    Is there a egg wirhdraw period using the sevin?

5. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    Roxy--I went ahead and used ivermectin pour-on on my gals. I also cleaned the coop out compleatly, even changed the nest under my broody, and dusted before putting in new bedding. (I gave the duck shack the same treatment, but didn't use the drops since I never saw a definitive answer on whether they need it or if it's safe.)
    The next day I feed them a mix of cooked oats, apple sauce, molassis, yogurt, yeast, and eggs--it looked and smelled like I should pop it in the oven not the chicken coop, but the girls loved it! I haven't seen any worms in the poop or rechecked for lice--I don't know how fast it shopuld work. Do I need to put more of the dust in there dustbathing spots? Although I don't want to do that if there is a withdraw period...
    Let me know what you did and how it worked!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:There is a 7 day egg withdrawal period. I've been using it for years in my vegetable garden and on my chickens. Just wash the veggies and eggs. I'm still here alive and typing.
    There is a 14 day withdrawal period using ivermectin.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by