Lice, worms and new molting hens...advice please!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by back2simplelife, Aug 14, 2013.

1. back2simplelife

back2simplelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2013
    Caldwell, Texas
    I know there are a million posts already.. and I have hit the 'read until I am confused' point [​IMG] Please help one more time.

Here is my situation.. We rescued 2 hens tonight that appear to be in good overall health (time will tell) but are thin! I am not sure if this lack of weight is due to the fact they only free range (it's hot and dry.. lil food to eat and too hot to eat!) or if they have parasites!
    Either way.. think it's best to start there first! I know nothing of their worming history.. not sure of their ages (I was told laying (lol) but one is real small so who knows!) AND they are molting (which I have read some wormers shouldn't be use during molt) I am new to the chicken world and believe in using pre steps in most cases but that won't work with these two.. so.. can you please help!
    Since I have no idea what worms they may have, what would be the best approach? I see a lot of wormers out there ppl have mentioned which really has my head spinning as some only kill this or that.. some you have to hit one then hit again with something else..ect. Also, do I dust (with sevin or Garden and Poultry dust as well as worm them?) Because it's only two chickens I really don't want to spend an arm and a leg and also if I can get it at the tractor supply store that would be great! What do you think would be best for these two gals? I think these gals just need some TLC and good food but I would rather be safe than sorry!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    There is a lot of confusing and conflicting information, I agree, but this thread is good:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-now-molting-short-days-few-or-no-eggs-anyway

See post #4 especially. Dawg53 is one of the members here who's advice I trust completely. He really knows his stuff. Dust the hens with a good quality poultry dust if you suspect they may have bugs. Then follow up with lots of TLC, good food, high protein snacks to help them recover, grow new feathers and put on some weight. You can give them meat scraps (just watch out for heavy seasoning, salt etc), a little dry cat food, tinned tuna, scrambled eggs and mealworms, of course. I have yet to meet a chicken that can resist a mealworm :) I won't suspect to see any eggs for a few weeks, not while they molting and after being moved to a new home. But given time I'm sure they will start repaying your kindness. Good luck with them!

3. back2simplelife

back2simplelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2013
    Caldwell, Texas
    Oh Thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by