1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lice

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by stroud2009, Sep 2, 2016.

1. stroud2009

stroud2009 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2015
    It's confirmed my chickens have something . Not sure if it's lice or mites but I was checking through my roosters feather and could see them crawling around . They are all tree sleepers so do I need to treat the trees ? What's the most effective way to get rid of them ? We have to go to the feed store tomorrow and I want to make sure I get everything we will need so we can tackle the situation .

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Most mite and louse species can be killed by permethrin dust. The dust should be applied every 7-10 days until they are gone. You can dust the trees as well, it's generally only toxic to insects.

3. stroud2009

Oct 9, 2015
    Do I just dust the environment ? Or is it safe to apply to them

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Poultry Dust is permethrin, and is labelled for chickens. Permethrin also comes as a spray. Ivermectin applied to each bird works great, but isn't on the approved drug list. Carbaryl is also no longer approved. Treating big trees isn't a great idea, just do the birds, and their dust spots, and coop and nesting boxes. Mary

5. stroud2009

Oct 9, 2015
    I cleaned out the coop today and sprinkled it all over , just unsure if I applied enough . I dusted them with DE ? This whole process is confusing for me and hubby isn't helping with research so I'm on my own .

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Make sure that you wear a N95 dust mask when coop cleaning or dusting with any product!!!! I don't use DE, as it's nasty to inhale and less effective than permethrin. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by