Lice

jackiestephens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 31, 2013
I think my small flock has lice. I've treated, birds and coop and pen and given them a sand bath with some of that deciduous (sp?) earth stuff. Still scratching. I let them out in a large yard everyday. It's mowed grass/lawn but many wild birds congregate here. Must I treat that? How? It's huge. Any other suggestions. Several birds have feather loss and others just constantly scratching at their feathers. How do I know for sure it's lice?

You should be able to see them or eggs crawling or chilling at the base of feathers like you would when finding fleas on a dog or cat. Dusting hasnt all ways worked for me and seems more preventative than curing. I give my birds garlic powder in food or water(other food things are optional) cause supposedly it makes them taste bad and rids the mites! You can find homemade lice remedies online and I'll say I have not always been successfull whith dusting but garlic has always worked for me!

Also have the birds lost weight? Lots of young birds or birds in general can get sick and die fast from mass blood loss/anemia/sicknesses due to mites. :( so it's best to fix it quick

Back
Top Bottom