Lice

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickzrule, Jun 21, 2010.

1. chickzrule

chickzrule Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    B.C., Canada
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone uses Sevin on their chickens? If so how do you feel about the safety of your girls and the safety of eating the eggs after treatment? I use Dry Kil which is a sulfur/ rotenone product. I would prefer to use something natural to kill them but i don't know if that is possible. I also use DE for them to dust themselves but it doesn't seem to totally wipe the lice out. If anybody uses a natural treatment with great results could you let me know? Thxs Lisa

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I use Sevin in the spring and winter. I continue eating the eggs throughout the treatment.

3. chickzrule

Jun 21, 2010
    B.C., Canada
    I get mixed messages from people about the safety of using Sevin. I would prefer to use something natural but... Anybody know of any little secrets to kill lice? I did hear about wood ashes but is there anything else?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sevin dust is the way to go to kill lice. Also,we eat the eggs.

5. chickzrule

Jun 21, 2010
    B.C., Canada
    When using Sevin, is it a one time application that you dust onto the chickens especially around the vents? Should i treat all 12 ladies or just the ones i see the lice on? thxs Lisa

6. SB Austex

SB Austex Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Austin
    Haven't tried it, but saw a post (I thought on here) about a recipe of food grade coconut oil plus tea tree oil sprayed on chickens. There is a similar recipe -- food oil, plus tee tree oil, plus thyme oil and a few other things on the organic chickens site. You could probably do a search for tea tree oil and lice and find it.

7. chickzrule

Jun 21, 2010
    B.C., Canada
    I just read the post about using the virgin coconut oil/tea tree oil mixture to kill lice! YAY!! I'm very excited to use this method as i have both products at home. If anyone has used this method could you please let me know of your results? How many times did you have to treat them( one time, once a week, etc)? Did you just spray their vent area or did you use elsewhere? I knew there had to be a natural cure!! thxs Lisa

8. Show Me Chick

Show Me Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    I just bought a product called Poultry Protector concentrate from care free enzymes. It's suppost to be all natural and non toxic and it says it cleans away mites,lice and fleas! You can mist the the bedding material, walls and also the birds with it. I haven't used it yet so I'm not sure how well it works.

9. chickzrule

Jun 21, 2010
    B.C., Canada
    I was asking about the tea tree/ coconut mix for lice on another site and someone said the tea tree is toxic if the chickens ingest it. They asked if you were to wash the mix off the birds after you spray them so they don't eat it. Is that what you should do? Are chickens supposed to always have a few lice? I have 12 ladies that i treat with a powder and only 1 of them had 3-4 lice on her. I have been treating them once a week for the last mnth. Am i just being paranoid??? thxs Lisa

10. chickzrule

Jun 21, 2010
    B.C., Canada
    I talked to a poultry expert today and he said to use Sevin for killing the lice. He recommended that i treat them aggressively by dusting the birds 3 wks in a row then to leave them(no dusting the birds themselves) for a couple of weeks and re check them at that point. He said that because it is a chemical on their skin they will absorb a bit so not to use it too frequently. He said that i should mix some in with the DE in their dust area( this will help to keep the lice at bay and not be such a harsh dose), as well as put some in their nesting boxes and roost. I feel bad that they have them but i am doing my best to try to get rid of them altogether! I have not used the Sevin yet, so i hope that when i do they will be gone for good!!! Hope this is useful info. Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by