AvianBrain

Chirping
May 27, 2020
Hello, I have ordered Ringneck pheasant eggs and going to incubate them in my cheap incubator so I could imprint and get them tame(ish). I am in the state of Rhode Island and need to know if I need a licence to legally keep these birds for pets, even if I don't breed them? I have read the pages on the rhode island fish and wildlife website but all the articles i find are about hunting season and not for pet pheasants. My main aviary is 12 x 12 ft and 6 ft high, I will clip wings to prevent birds from spooking into the roof. I also have a separate run thing that I would house a male pheasant, the run's size adds up to 12sq feet inside, and I have three friendly ducks and one chicken, my others have passed away for varied reasons. I do know the risks of keeping gamefowl near chickens, but I have made up my mind and if they fail, then I will learn my lesson. All Four of the birds already eat gamebird food with an oyster shell and grit bowl on the side. The substrate is hay and also have bird safe plants in the aviary. I have been sucessful in manging the duck mess and the my aviary and coop is cleaned when needed. I chose ringnecks because of the simmilar social behaviors to chickens, as well as the relitively better immune systems compared to other wildfowls. I would have just gotten chicken chicks from the local feed store, but I have already bought my eggs and they are supposed to arrive today. I had read that some states need permits for ringnecks shortly after my eggs shipped and cannot cancel the order or get the refund. I am under 18 in age and if I cannot get a permit for these birds within reason, I will have to destroy the eggs.

Last edited:
Hello, I have ordered Ringneck pheasant eggs and going to incubate them in my cheap incubator so I could imprint and get them tame(ish). I am in the state of Rhode Island and need to know if I need a licence to legally keep these birds for pets, even if I don't breed them? I have read the pages on the rhode island fish and wildlife website but all the articles i find are about hunting season and not for pet pheasants. My main aviary is 12 x 12 ft and 6 ft high, I will clip wings to prevent birds from spooking into the roof. I also have a separate run thing that I would house a male pheasant, the run's size adds up to 12sq feet inside, and I have three friendly ducks and one chicken, my others have passed away for varied reasons. I do know the risks of keeping gamefowl near chickens, but I have made up my mind and if they fail, then I will learn my lesson. All three of the birds already eat gamebird food with an oyster shell and grit bowl on the side. The substrate is hay and also have bird safe plants in the aviary. I have been sucessful in manging the duck mess and the my aviary and coop is cleaned when needed. I chose ringnecks because of the simmilar social behaviors to chickens, as well as the relitively better immune systems compared to other wildfowls. I would have just gotten chicken chicks from the local feed store, but I have already bought my eggs and they are supposed to arrive today. I had read that some states need permits for ringnecks shortly after my eggs shipped and cannot cancel the order or get the refund. I am under 18 in age and if I cannot get a permit for these birds within reason, I will have to destroy the eggs.
Call your local game warden or DNR agent. They can inform you of what your state's rules are.

Hello, I have ordered Ringneck pheasant eggs and going to incubate them in my cheap incubator so I could imprint and get them tame(ish). I am in the state of Rhode Island and need to know if I need a licence to legally keep these birds for pets, even if I don't breed them? I have read the pages on the rhode island fish and wildlife website but all the articles i find are about hunting season and not for pet pheasants. My main aviary is 12 x 12 ft and 6 ft high, I will clip wings to prevent birds from spooking into the roof. I also have a separate run thing that I would house a male pheasant, the run's size adds up to 12sq feet inside, and I have three friendly ducks and one chicken, my others have passed away for varied reasons. I do know the risks of keeping gamefowl near chickens, but I have made up my mind and if they fail, then I will learn my lesson. All three of the birds already eat gamebird food with an oyster shell and grit bowl on the side. The substrate is hay and also have bird safe plants in the aviary. I have been sucessful in manging the duck mess and the my aviary and coop is cleaned when needed. I chose ringnecks because of the simmilar social behaviors to chickens, as well as the relitively better immune systems compared to other wildfowls. I would have just gotten chicken chicks from the local feed store, but I have already bought my eggs and they are supposed to arrive today. I had read that some states need permits for ringnecks shortly after my eggs shipped and cannot cancel the order or get the refund. I am under 18 in age and if I cannot get a permit for these birds within reason, I will have to destroy the eggs.
Call your local wildlife game wardens office i know you have to in Ohio i just got mine i have quail its $20. a yr but they will tell you if you need one or if your parents have to apply for it since you are not legally an adult and they will send you the laws and regulations for your state its actually very simple

I just Googled it and yes you need a permit but it doesn't say how much it is its probably not crazy expensive and you have to band your birds witch isn't bad mine are banded they don't care

Back
Top Bottom