Lid on Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HippieChick76, Apr 16, 2012.

1. HippieChick76

HippieChick76 Blossom Backyard Farm

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    Our first chicks have learned to spread their wings. When I went downstairs to check on them this morning in the brooders, I found one of our cochin bantams roosting on the edge of the tub, lol. I decided it was past time to make a screen for the top of each tub. Looking back now, I should have built the lids to begin with. Live and learn. This new chick mama learned her lesson. [​IMG]

2. Ourfamilyflock

Ourfamilyflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Central Oregon
    We just used a mesh screen and hot glued magnets on it and the brooder to cover it.

3. sweetpea409

sweetpea409 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Northern MI
    I use a big storage tub for my brooder, and what I did was on the lid, I cut out all of the middle that wasn't necessary for the lid's stability and fit to the tub, and I hot glued a screen to it. That way, I can easily access the chicks by opening the lid, yet they have ample air circulation.

I had to have a lid the day I got my chicks, because not only do I not trust my cat, but I guess one jumped out of the box TSC put them in while my husband was driving them home. Ooops! lol

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  4. HippieChick76

HippieChick76 Blossom Backyard Farm

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    I ended up using some 1x2 that were leftover from a project that was completed ages ago. The boards have a nice weathered look...yeah, that's it...a weathered look, lol! Just a basic screen with some hardware cloth that I had. It keeps the new chicks who found their wing feathers safely inside the brooder.

5. StarryEyzz

StarryEyzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Granite Falls, WA
    I have this exact set up. Works GREAT...other than I now need to upgrade to a bigger size since they are growing and I added two more chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by