1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Life cycle of a tapeworm

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chictaw, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Chictaw

Chictaw Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Silver Springs, NV
    Could someone tell me what the life cycle of a tapeworm is, and if the cold temperatures will kill them when the chickens poop them out?[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    All of the tapeworm species go through an intermediary host. In some cases it is an insect in others a rodent. According to a computer search the intermediary host for the chicken tapeworm is an ant - I did not know that. The chicken poops out a proglottid (segment) containing many eggs. The ant eats the proglottid and the tapeworm goes through a developmental stage in the ant. The chicken eats the infected ant and the tapeworm develops to the reproductive stage in the chicken. Periodic worming seems to be the best control method. I doubt that temperature has much effect on either the proglottids or the ants.

3. Chictaw

Chictaw Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Silver Springs, NV
    I knew all that, and have been fighting tapeworm for 3 months now. I wanted to know how long the the eggs take to hatch after I have given the girls Valbazin. Many live worms have come out in the last 3 months since I have been treating them. We had 3 or 4 days with no worms, then we started to see a few again, but not everyday. I am getting just a few more lift on their poo. What I want to know is if I give them more Valbazine, how long do I go to give them more to kill the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by