Life expectancy and crowing habits of Cornish Cross roosters

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by saracb, Dec 2, 2010.

1. saracb

saracb New Egg

Jun 28, 2010
    Hi -
    I'm pretty new to having chickens, I posted this past summer for help on sexing a bird that I had. He was a rooster and I found another home for him since I live in Chicago and can't have a rooster that crows all the time.
    I took in a cornish cross a few months ago who everyone thought initially was a hen. Turns out he was just pretty young. He was also really sick so we nursed him back to health and now he has started crowing, as of this morning. Not a great surprise, but what can we do. We have no interest in killing him and are just keeping him as a pet - we also have 5 hens. If we let him free range during the day and restrict his feeding (he has to be fed apart from the hens or they don't get any food) what is his life expectancy, roughly? Will he crow all the time like any other rooster or is there a chance he won't? I'm probably being naive on that one... But I thought I would ask. I really want to be able to keep him.
    Thanks!

2. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    No idea on the life expectancy, but the meaties that we had started crowing at 5wks and went on and on just like any other roosters. 12 of our 25 were roosters so it got quite annoying at times.

3. chickens friend

chickens friend Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2009
    Southwest virginia
    Life expectancy is kind of touchy, I kept two hens and rooster one time. At about the age of 14-20 weeks when the rooster started trying to mate he got down in his legs and had a heart attack and died. At about the age of one year one of the hens got down in her legs and died, Then at about 2 to 3 years old I lost the other hen to a heart attack. I let them free range with the other chickens eat with the other chickens, and stay with them all the time. These birds if kept for a long time will win your heart over because they will love you. I suggest that you do not try to keep him, if you do keep him do not get attached to him.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    A year or so would be about all you can expect if he is a CX. Watch for leg issues, and what appears to be panting. Once you see these, you may wish to consider culling. Their genetics really can't be overcome, they grow fast, die young. That is what they were bred for. Best of luck.

5. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I had my CX meaties until they were 11 weeks old. Not one of the roos ever crowed -- I kept waiting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by