Life In "The Great Recession"...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Gonzo, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    How has this recession changed your life, lifestyle, and do you think you'll be better for in the years to come? [​IMG]
    I've changed so much it's crazy... My job I loved is gone, which started it all...
    I will never again have another credit card or car loan. If I can't buy it now... I must save for it or do without.
    I no longer have a cell phone contract. I do pre-paid now.
    I'm saving money now too. "just because I've worked hard at my job and worked all the hours asked" doesn't mean my job is safe... My job went to China.. But I'm hopeful after the recession is over and the economy is growing again that I'll be in a better position to cope if something of this scale happens again. I've learned so much in the last 18 months!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2010
  2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    I agree- everything is changed, no matter what the name for it is, its a depression as far as i'm concerned- yes, the credit cards are gone, paying them off, the student loans are on hold due to 'economic hardship', the car is paid off, and the rule around here is cash only- hubby is retired navy, we live on a limited income, i am a freelance artist, sales have plummeted, so we are relearning to 'make do'- the chickens are our entertainment as well as provision for food- hope i never have to eat them, but the eggs are helping alot!

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Yep .. I have learned how to make meals from next to nothing.. Lost 37 pounds though after realizing how much I was spending just on Polar Pops a day.. Cut back on all entertainment, chopped up the credit cards and told them to cancell them.. Got rid of contract cell phone and got a Prepaid for $40 and $45 a month unlimited everything.. Grew and canned last year, raising meat animals now so i wont have to buy any meat from the store... Doubling my garden this year as I will be living where it is now.. Stopped running to the store if I am out of something ,if i am out I just make do with what I have... Recycling all food scraps to the chickens to cut down there feed bills.. Selling eggs whenever possible as extra income.. Using found items to repair as much as possible and keep from buying anything..
    Also My boys and I moved back to the homestead and are now able to put back a lil money here and there and pay rent to the folks to help them keep the house..

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We got a cold taste of reality when I got pregnant with our child. My employer didn't want to fool with my maternity leave because it was going to interfere with her business, so she fired me 2 weeks after I found out I was pregnant. We went from 2 incomes to one with NO warning. Since we weren't supposed to be able to have children, and we cannot have anymore, I chose to stay at home with her and I'm still here.5 years later. You learn that you can live without a LOT of things that you thought you couldn't. You eat at home more, you don't run to town everytime you want to, you don't REALLY need 300 channels on the TV. We have always raised a garden, but this past year I really put up some vegetables. We will have almost all of our debt paid off this year, and we have resolved to never be in a situation where we have to finance anything else except a vehicle.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    To be honest, most of the stuff mentioned here I was already doing, which is why I was able to voluntarily give up my job when the company asked for people to volunteer to be laid off. I did get the chooks and start my garden after I was "laid off" but that was in part because not working I found I had the time and energy to devote to them, with the produce from them helping to lower our food bills.

One thing that seems different from most is that I DO use credit cards for everything I can BUT - I pay them off in full each month so I never pay a cent of interest. And, by using them for everything, I earn rewards points, so my credit cards actually make money for me. It doesn't really require that much discipline - you just set it up with the credit card company to auto pay from your account on the due date and then you don't have to worry about remembering to make the payment on time. The key though, is to treat the card as though it is cash and never charge something that you wouldn't also be willing to pay cash for. Also, I never buy something just for the rewards points. In fact, I never look at my point balance so it is always a nice little bonus when I get the check in the mail. (They auto send me a $25 check when my points balance reaches 2500).

Probably the things that changed the most when we lost my income are:

1) we stopped eating out once a week and now eat out only maybe once a month.
    2) although I've always shopped in thrift stores and been pleased to find bargains, after losing my income I changed my focus and now never buy anything new until I've exhausted the options for finding it used.

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Well...I've learned a lot, but my kids have learned a lot more [​IMG] (I grew up dirt poor) It's good for them. They got one $20 Christmas present each this year, and had to be satisfied or live their life in a mope..lol. We are cooking every meal, learning the value of every single dollar that comes in. We don't go to the movies, we cut cable, and pulled out books and other entertainment instead. We go fishing more which my youngest loves to death. We keep lights off, and take shorter showers to save every penny we can. We have sold hundreds of dollars worth of 'stuff' to pay bills. We recycle, shop once a month(groceries), and just cut every corner we possibly can to stay current on everything. 5 months of no work...kinda changes everything. We will have a huge garden this year, and eat from it all next winter. These are all things we already knew about, but when DH worked, we travelled with him and lived in an RV 80% of the year. Now we are home all the time, and in a lot of ways, things are better. Money isn't the most important thing, but we miss the flexibility of having it if we need it. I look at it like a mid-life career change. TOTALLY different buisness than what we were into, and learning the ropes slowly, but managing at the moment [​IMG] We've also changed our priority list pretty drastically. The house and 'stuff' just doesn't mean what it used to. We resolve to be happy whatever we have or don't have. Otherwise we'd all be in a padded room right now [​IMG] Currently we are struggling to keep a house we used to pay huge chunks of principal down on. It would hurt more if I were the same person as I was 5 months ago. Changed...yes I have, but for the better I think.

7. Chicken Chaperone

Chicken Chaperone Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't even begin to tell y'all how glad and supported I feel reading this thread. I love being a stay at home mom but sometimes it's hard to explain
    to my 5 year old why he can't have everything he wants, why his mom's car is old and doesn't always cooperate (he can't remember our "1 car family
    days" and how blessed we are to have 2 now even if one is old as dirt..). It's such a comfort to me to come here and see that others are making the changes
    they need to to keep it together, to keep their priorities straight and to keep their chins up. So thanks BYCers for giving me a tap on the chin and reminding me
    what's important. Y'all rule the school!! [​IMG]

8. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    I have gone back to work, was a stay at home mom with preschooler.
    I was extremely lucky to get a different job where I use to work in a greenhouse.

We gave up a lot, went through bankruptcy with my hubby's construction company. THAT was fun! not!!!

Buy only on sale, use coupons, try to save electric in as many ways possilbe (don't use clothes dryer unless have to) have propane hot water heater and stove.

We were lucky in that hubby's reputation helped him to get a job with another construction company.

We used to go out to eat quite a lot and hubby likes to 'go' a lot. That has come to a halt.

My little one is learning about pricing when we go to grocery stores and has already told her Daddy "that costs to much money".

Chickens or dogs get anything left over. The chickens are at least paying for themselves in the eggs I sell.
    We fed out a beef steer and processed it last Jan. We still have meat to eat off of it.

I am always looking for ways to save.

Even though we can breath a little bit, we are still carefull because we know it can change in an instant.

9. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I feel Ya! It helps knowing we're all in this together!
    Quote:

10. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    gonzo&hispeeps :

I feel Ya! It helps knowing we're all in this together!
    Quote:
    Remember the generation that came from the Great Depression? There were no credit cards, no food stamps, no health care programs then...or half the things we have today! No help in sight, just relying solely on yourself and good neighbors who stuck by you. I think this is just a necessary cycle to strengthen us as a nation and remind us of where we came from and who we really are. The last several generations have been pampered to death to the point of complacency. As bad as things are right this second...I'm a true believer in things having a reason for happenening. I can't WAIT to see the flip side!!! [​IMG] That's my POV anyway [​IMG] Good things for the future!!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by